• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Guidance

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
I guess my half flunked comment was conservative;).
For most colleges, you don't need to retake the classes at the same school you didn't receive credit at. Just speak to the academic adviser at whichever school you choose, and they will point toward the equivalent classes they offer (e.g., ENGL 100 and ENGL 1010 are the same class).
Everything seems big and scary when you look at it as a whole. Just concentrate on the task at hand, one semester at a time, and you'll be able to reach your goal.

m26

Contributor
Yeah, I didn't just take 11 credits, I took 30. Came out with 11.
So it's a must that I find a way to retake some classes.
Would it behoove me to at least meet with my SUU advisor and see how many of those credits I could make up?

You shouldn't need to retake the classes, per se. If you were to get your degree from SUU, you may be able to retake the classes, and have your GPA reported as the made up grades (if it works anything like it does at UU). If you transfer later, however, its possible that your transcript would show both the F and the subsequent retake grade. This would be no different than if you just transferred first, and took the classes at your new school.

You would be well served to at least talk to your advisor, but make sure he/she knows you intend to transfer (if you do), so she can tell you whether or not you'll be wasting your time.

I've toured Westminster and Weber State. I guess it just made the most sense to aim for the Moon but be ok with landing in the clouds, University wise.

That's a good strategy. The Navy asks that your degree be accredited, so a Dixie or even SUU degree can suffice. But going to BYU/UU/WSU or wherever can't hurt

What reserves am I looking at? Just the National Guard?

Air Force.

If you go AF, you have Hill up in Ogden. The Army has a small presence in UT, but the Navy is infinitesimal. They may be options, but I hadn't explored it.

NG and ANG are complicated. You should talk with someone with extensive Guard experience if you want to go that route. You are essentially locked in UT and in the Guard, so if you wanted to move for whatever reason (grad school?), go active, or transfer to, say, the Navy, it can get complicated.

If you look at AFR, or UT ANG, the easiest way to fly would probably be the AF. I believe that once you get your degree, it is possible to commission as a Guard pilot, although you won't be able to fly full time.*

*Suggestions based on anecdotal information and personal research. Consult someone with first-hand knowledge before making any life decisions.

A10DCC

Pro-Rec SNA
I am currently in the ANG (as well as prior Active Duty AF), if you would like to join the ANG PM me and I can give you more info on what all I had to do. In reply to M26's post, you can be a full time pilot in the guard, about 1/3 of our A-10 pilots are full time. Like he said though, main downpoint of joining the guard if you switch colleges and move 1,000 miles away you will have to come back once a month for UTA unless you transfer units, which can be done but is a PITA. There is also a Navy reserve unit in Salt Lake and one in Vegas, whichever is closer to you.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
There is a freshman forgiveness rule at some colleges and universities. I don't know if you have checked out that possibility, but if you haven't, it is probably the best idea.

F.F. is where if you flunk a class as a freshman, you can retake the class and your new grade will replace your old one.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Why not pretend you didn't even go to college yet (since it's only 30 hours) and start fresh somewhere else? Surely (hopefully) you've learned your lesson. Those 11 hours can easily be made up in the summer, so you wouldn't be too far behind.

Those of you throwing the integrity flag..don't even.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Why not pretend you didn't even go to college yet (since it's only 30 hours) and start fresh somewhere else?....
Hell, why not just cut to the chase --- buy a uniform and Wings on eBay and just walk around the airport ... ??? :eek::)

Oh, wait ... that's already been done ... :sleep_125

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Why not pretend you didn't even go to college yet (since it's only 30 hours) and start fresh somewhere else? Surely (hopefully) you've learned your lesson. Those 11 hours can easily be made up in the summer, so you wouldn't be too far behind.

Those of you throwing the integrity flag..don't even.

That's not something I would want hanging over my head while being investigated for a TS security clearance, but to each his own.