• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career/Family

S.O.B.

pilot
Prior to going to Flight School in the Coast Guard do you have to do a couple of years as a surface officer?

sardaddy

pilot
S.O.B. said:
Prior to going to Flight School in the Coast Guard do you have to do a couple of years as a surface officer?

Short answer: No. You can attend flight school right out of OCS or the CG academy.

Long answer: It really depends on your commissioning source, and flight school availability. Up until very recently all Coast Guard Academy graduates had to complete two years on a ship before they could go to flight school. That is no longer required.

However, no matter whether you go to OCS or the Academy, if you do not get one of the available flight billets, you will have to go to a unit as a non aviator and try to reapply for flight school. It could take a while.

If you are direct commissioned because you were a prior military pilot, you go directly to an aviation unit.

KimberlyD

I might be kicked out of the PSC & disowned by my husband for saying this but if flying in the USMC means that much to you, do it. You'll never be happy staying home & playing Joe Civilian if you "never get your chance". I hate running into people who tell me how they "should have stayed & done 20" or "should have joined up rather than let Susie tell me what to do". You do what is important to you & as long as you bring home a paycheck & support your family financially (& your kids emotionally) then you're doing the best you can.

KimberlyD said:
I might be kicked out of the PSC & disowned by my husband for saying this but if flying in the USMC means that much to you, do it. You'll never be happy staying home & playing Joe Civilian if you "never get your chance". I hate running into people who tell me how they "should have stayed & done 20" or "should have joined up rather than let Susie tell me what to do". You do what is important to you & as long as you bring home a paycheck & support your family financially (& your kids emotionally) then you're doing the best you can.
Glad you said it... I have been biting my tongue:)

Jenmarie

Demons are cute when they sleep!
Contributor
I am agreeing with Ryann and Kimberly. You talk with your wife, being honest with her about what you need to do to be happy. You would hate to wake up in five years, or even one, being resentful that you didn't follow through on your dreams. But make sure the decision you are making is what you are really wanting to do, and that you're going to be able to be the man you want to be for your children, and yes, your wife. I could never imagine not supporting the person I was married to in their career - even if it wasn't exactly what I had hoped for. Your wife is also in a hard position, so listen to her thoughts and fears and talk it out with her. I wish you the very best of luck.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, are we having a revolution from the spouse's corner? I like what I hear - keep it coming girlfriends! ;):D

Brett