• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Captain Frank Dully

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Anyone ever hear of him? FWIW, he is the guy who wrote the speech often referred to as "Sex and the Naval Aviator"

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Anyone ever hear of him? FWIW, he is the guy who wrote the speech often referred to as "Sex and the Naval Aviator"

Thanx, Feddoc...just "Googled" him up...very impressive!
patriot.gif

I'll be looking around later for his best known piece (cited above)...LOL!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Yeah ... great speaker; he could really get into the heads of Aviators and help us understand ourselves & our motivations. He came through Meridian and gave "THE SPEECH" to the assembled crowd of STUDs & Instructors ... it was well worth the time.

"Sex and the Naval Aviator" ... that was the 'hook' that got us all to the station theater ... I mean, it was during the time of the "Sex and the Single Girl" hoopla, so you can see that his understanding of the Naval Aviator psyche was right on the money ... :)

One thing that always stuck in my head from CAPT Duffy's presentation (he wasn't a CAPT then -- I think he was an LT) -- was when he asked us:

"So, Gentlemen ... are we the way we are BECAUSE we're Naval Aviators ... ? Or are we Naval Aviators BECAUSE OF THE WAY WE ARE ... "???? :icon_wink

Think about that one for a minute when you are compared to your current/former non-Naval Aviator peers ... :)

Another item of his -- a little dated perhaps -- but it might still be worth your time:

Reflections of a Senior Flight Surgeon: Special Kinds of Aviator

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Back in the late '70s/early '80s I saw at least two versions of the videos. Plus, he made a personal appearance at one of our drill-weekend Saturday morning training sessions at NAS Miramar when he was the AirPac Flight Surgeon.

He had the Naval Aviator psyche absolutely NAILED. Most of his presentation was screamingly funny, but more so because it was spot-on true. He dissected the differences between the flight communities thusly:

You can tell if a P-3 party was a success by the vintage of the wine.
A helo party, by the number of courses in the meal.
An attack squadron's party, by the bar bill.
A fighter squadron party, by the bill that it took to repair the bar.
And the RA-5C bubbas (later changed to Harrier after the Viggies went away)... those folks don't have parties...

The big thing you took away from his talk was to "beware the 'failed' Naval Aviator." He usually ends up killing himself, and sometimes those around him. He used several true accounts of this behavior and in each one there was a chain of events that could have been stopped before tragedy ensued, if only someone in the chain-of-command, or even his peers, had done something.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
He had the Naval Aviator psyche absolutely NAILED. Most of his presentation was screamingly funny, but more so because it was spot-on true. He dissected the differences between the flight communities thusly:

You can tell if a P-3 party was a success by the vintage of the wine.
A helo party, by the number of courses in the meal.
An attack squadron's party, by the bar bill.
A fighter squadron party, by the bill that it took to repair the bar.
And the RA-5C bubbas (later changed to Harrier after the Viggies went away)... those folks don't have parties...

Lemme guess, he was addressing a bunch of fighter dudes at the time...

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Our FS class was able to see the video of CAPT Dully's infamous presentation. The story that went around when I was going through in late 1991 and afterward was that our class would be the last one to see the vid, and that all copies were being actively sought out and purged. If you remember the times, it had the ring of truth.
R/