• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAP or AFJROTC

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I would imagine they are the same depending on the level of commitment and performance you put into them.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
My vote's for Civil Air Patrol

They look about the same. It depends more on what you want to get out of thr program. I have been in Civil Air Patrol for nearly five years now and I have to say it has been one of the best experiences of my life. Also, from my experience, CAP cadets tend to be much more disciplined and are much better leaders and folowers than AFJROTC. I've have seen many, many AFJROTC cadets who couldn't hold a candle to some of the worst CAP cadets in drill, discipline, general military knowledge, etc. Here's a link to CAP NHQ's website, it should answer many of your basic questions. If you ahve any that the website does not answer or you'd like to know more, feel free to PM me.
Also, CAP does way more than AFJROTC does. We are responsible for about 85% of all inland SAR missions, so if you like hiking through the backwoods in search of a downed aircraft or you like to work with radios or you want to get your private pilot's license for cents on the dollar, CAP is the way to go. :)

fut.MIDSHIPMAN

Thanks, I have already checked out the website for CAP and AFJROTC and was just wondering other people thoughts on which is better. I am most likely joining CAP soon.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
I was wondering which would be better on a application CAP or AFJROTC?

I read your other posts, so I know what you're asking. I'd say neither and both...I didn't apply for the academy, but one of my HS classmates did. He was an eagle scout. I know that that specifically gave you "points" on your application, but there are many other areas. If you don't do sports, start. Being on a team is strong. Also, leadership (President, Vice Pres., Sec., Treasuer, etc) within organizations...Key club, SADD, honor society, sport teams, etc. is a few more points. AFJROTC may give you more, but again, the classmate of mine just had really good grades and applied.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
We also have a similar award in CAP to the Eagle Scout. It's called the General Billy Mitchell Award. It also promotes you to the grade of Cadet Second Lieutenant. It looks good on academy applications. There are also three more awards after the Mitchell Award, which also look very good on an application. But you can't go wrong with having good grades. I'd also recommend sports, they're good for both the body and mind.

And if you ever get the Spaatz Award, you'll pretty much be good to go. Yeah, but being a Mitchell recipient is awesome. :D

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
What is a key club I keep on hearing people mention that. I thinking i am going with CAP.

High School branch of the Kiwanis Club. Community Service group that was always loaded with hot chicks in our school.

~D

fut.MIDSHIPMAN

oh, we dont have that at our school. I do play sports and have pretty good grades. Plus I am a volunteer firefighter and am joining CAP soon so how should my app. look?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
oh, we dont have that at our school. I do play sports and have pretty good grades. Plus I am a volunteer firefighter and am joining CAP soon so how should my app. look?

Remember to enjoy your childhood too...but I'd say you're a pretty good candidate. Don't do things for other people...otherwise you'll soon realize that you're living THIER dreams...not yours.

Just my 2 sense.
~D

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
fut.MIDN, you're good to go in my opinion. Remember, you don't have to do all these different things. You don't have to join CAP unless you really want to. I've seen way too many people join because they want to go to the USAF Academy and they think they HAVE to join CAP in order to do that. They usually realize they don't like CAP that much and they quit or they piss away their time in CAP and don't do anything. You need to want to be in the program, or else it just ain't any fun.
I joined because I was a former Boy Scout who hated the Boy Scouts for various reasons but still wanted something to do in my free time and CAP appealed to my love of aviation and the military. So I joined and never looked back. I don't regret a single minute of it.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
AllAmerican75 said:
We also have a similar award in CAP to the Eagle Scout. It's called the General Billy Mitchell Award. It also promotes you to the grade of Cadet Second Lieutenant. It looks good on academy applications. There are also three more awards after the Mitchell Award, which also look very good on an application. But you can't go wrong with having good grades. I'd also recommend sports, they're good for both the body and mind.

And if you ever get the Spaatz Award, you'll pretty much be good to go. Yeah, but being a Mitchell recipient is awesome. :D

Sorry, the Mitchell is not equivalent to an Eagle Scout, neither is the Earhart or Eaker. Now the Spaatz on the other hand...

Get the Earhart, go on IACE (look it up, can you say 3 week European vacation for $300, I know I can, Switzerland rocked btw).

There are a TON of opportunities CAP can give you that AFJROTC can't even touch. But you gotta put some work in, but the benefits far outweigh the time.

I will say this, don't waste your time if you don't plan on atleast making the Mitchell. And if you got the time (4-6 years), go for the Spaatz, its alot of work though, but worth it.

Got any questions CAP related, I've probably done it, so PM away.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Punk said:
Sorry, the Mitchell is not equivalent to an Eagle Scout, neither is the Earhart or Eaker. Now the Spaatz on the other hand...
And I'm sorry to say that times may have changed. Varies from troop to troop; I saw plenty of sh!t-bags get shuttled through our Eagle machine. People that were not skilled enough, had no leadership abilities, and were often a$$holes and fvkcups (as in NOT, morally straight...), and many were done before their freshman year! It used to be that 2% of Boy Scouts earned Eagle; it just recently went up to 3%. Insignificant change, you say? Slippery slope and societal shift, say I.

But End Rant... I know nothing about CAP, and can't really comment on how hard it is to earn the Mitchell.

On Extra-Curriculars
As a college applicant, my general advice is to go deeper into fewer things you can excell at, enjoy, and demonstrate commitment to/leadership in rather than "jack up all trades and master none..."

Oh, and if you ever happen to get into Student Government... try to avoid doing it with friends (right, elections, only so much you can do, but in my case, we ran "together"). There is a good chance your friendships will suffer and your government won't get nearly as much done...

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Now, I'm not comparing Eagle Scouts or Spaatz cadets in the manner of leadership, ethics, etc. I would probably say Spaatz is more difficult to achieve than Eagle, how much so, I don't know, I was never a boy scout. And like you said, it varies from troop to troop. But less than 1% of all cadets ever acheive Spaatz.

I just remember through my academy process, it depended on who you talked to whether the Spaatz or Eagle was more distinguised. On the AF side, Spaatz was more distinguised, most of the time, but not always (depended on your advisor).

The Mitchell really isn't that hard to achieve. A cadet can acheive that in a year if they're a hard charger (also will vary from squadron to squadron).

not saying we didn't have our fvckup Spaatz cadets either, Texas Cadet Murders anyone?