• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can't believe I just noticed this.

MasterBates

I think whoever redesigned VAW-120's patch a while back was a Judas Priest fan.

VAW-120 Patch
vaw120_a_greyhawks_insig.jpg

Judas Priest "Screaming for Vengance" album cover
1346900209_63a46352ce_o.jpg

Any other "Metal" inspired squadron patches out there?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
VAQ-133's "DeadHead" patch. (pic attached)

Inspired by:

guaterica_04-05.1100525400.deadhead.gif

Attachments

• deadhead.JPG
    deadhead.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 43

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
120's patch is actually the VAW-110 patch changed to black/gray/white after 110 was decomed in the 90's. The original 120 patch is obnoxious, and I suspect no one was sad to see it go.

vaw110sq.JPG
vaw120sqblk.JPG

Some have referred to it as the Judas Priest patch; but as newer, younger guys join the community fewer are familiar.

Similarly, there's a DeadHead patch for the Joint Tactical Command and Control Course at NSAWC.
JTCCCrnd.jpg

Lobster

120's patch is actually the VAW-110 patch changed to black/gray/white after 110 was decomed in the 90's. The original 120 patch is obnoxious, and I suspect no one was sad to see it go.

vaw110sq.JPG
vaw120sqblk.JPG

It didn't have anything to do with Mav wearing it and changing the VAW-110 to VF-1 did it? :p

1800128578p.jpg

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Wow, I don't know if that's a good catch or you have seen that movie way too many times. Wait, saw your profile. Question answered. Let the ridicule start.......now.

Lobster

Indeed I have seen it too many times but Stalk ruined its luster when I was little as he pointed out how unrealistic everything was :( haha...

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Wow, I don't know if that's a good catch or you have seen that movie way too many times. Wait, saw your profile. Question answered. Let the ridicule start.......now.

I have a book on the history of NAS Miramar that actually talks about that patch and other creative licenses the movie took. If memory serves me right, they also changed a VA-25 patch to be a tomcat squadron.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Ridicule or not, unrealistic or not, anyone on this site who claims to have seen Top Gun less than 10 times is a damned liar.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...

In the defense of the lobster, there was a thread on here a few months back about a guy from the UK trying to get the patch replica's for a halloween costume, and it went on for a few pages. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Artistic liberty or not, Top Gun has some of the most amazing aerial cinematography of any movie ever made. At what point in flight school to they teach the '4g inverted dive' ??? :D

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
It didn't have anything to do with Mav wearing it and changing the VAW-110 to VF-1 did it? :p

As I understand it, they went "patch shopping" for a good looking patch/logo from all the squadrons at Miramar, and they settled on VAW-110's. Changing the squadron name to read VF-1 was apparently not a big hit with the Wolfpack (the real VF-1).