• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CANREC

jo di

Anyone have any advice and or insight into the officer CanRec position? How did you like the job/what are the quotas like/ and what are your options after the max time of 5 years are over? Thanks in advance.

No replies yet? I'll do what I usually prefer not to, and give you the "my buddy..." answer. He got out, went to grad school, then couldn't find a job he liked so he went the canrec route. I never kept in great touch with him, but it seemed like a pretty good way to get O3/O4 pay, serve in a meaningful way, but still come home to the family each night. I assume he did officer recruiting, and from my limited vantage point it didn't seem too bad. Separately, I've heard if you can get a few nukes and aviators, your fine.

I have a co-worker who was in the army and was a company commander for enlisted recruiters. That sounded horrible! Every month he didn't make quota, he'd have to drive 3 hours to explain (at 0600!) why. They'd have conferences, and those that made quota got Embassy Suites, those that hadn't were in motel 6.

Have you looked into it? Do you know where you're headed beforehand?

Career-wise (reserves) I'd imagine it's good enough to get you to LCDR, with perhaps a little momentum for o5. You'll have a string of fit reps and several years of your record being maintained by pros, but the guys who took O4 commands and IA billets to war zones will prob look better.

Let us know how it turns out.

Renegade One

None
Every month he didn't make quota, he'd have to drive 3 hours to explain (at 0600!) why. They'd have conferences, and those that made quota got Embassy Suites, those that hadn't were in motel 6.
I found this weirdly humorous. Where do we GET such [wo]men?

I don't think it was just the CO--I got the impression it was Army-wide, especially the hotel thing. I'm not sure, but my limited interaction with enlisted recruiters (USN/USMC) makes me think they're in pretty much the same boat!

exNavyOffRec

I believe for the USN (from the meetings I was in) that the CANREC program in the USN has tightened up a bit, they were specifically looking for O-3 or below and would not look at anyone that had FOS x 2, and maybe FOS x 1

another thing is that with the restructuring at NRD's OR's work for an OACR who is usually a SCPO, this can be interesting at times, especially when the SCPO has to tell a LT that he isn't working enough.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I believe for the USN (from the meetings I was in) that the CANREC program in the USN has tightened up a bit, they were specifically looking for O-3 or below and would not look at anyone that had FOS x 2, and maybe FOS x 1

another thing is that with the restructuring at NRD's OR's work for an OACR who is usually a SCPO, this can be interesting at times, especially when the SCPO has to tell a LT that he isn't working enough.

I don't think of myself working for a SCPO, but more as a first line of defense against our department heads (OPS/AOPS). When something goes bad I hear it first from my ACR and gives me enough time/notice to take care of it before OPS/XO/CO gets involved. That and I feel I can get more help faster through the ACR than with my DH team.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I don't think it was just the CO--I got the impression it was Army-wide, especially the hotel thing. I'm not sure, but my limited interaction with enlisted recruiters (USN/USMC) makes me think they're in pretty much the same boat!

It depends on the NRD. There are certain NRDs out there that are having a tough time making enlisted/officer goal so of course life is tough for them. And there's the NRDs who are doing well and things aren't as stressful as the other folks.

exNavyOffRec

I don't think of myself working for a SCPO, but more as a first line of defense against our department heads (OPS/AOPS). When something goes bad I hear it first from my ACR and gives me enough time/notice to take care of it before OPS/XO/CO gets involved. That and I feel I can get more help faster through the ACR than with my DH team.

That sounds like it should be, however I have known others that have been told by the OACR (SCPO/MCPO) "LT you can't go home until you provide me XXXX" eventually the LT went to OPS and OPS told the OACR to be more tactful and told the LT he needed to supply the info requested when asked.