• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cancer and Pneumonia history and OCS?

Ankea

Hello there.

I was told I should ask here if having a history of Cancer (non-severe, one surgery and no chemo) and Pneumonia (once time each) is going to be problematic in getting into OCS?

Thank you.

Ankea

I suppose I should mention i also have an asymptomatic heart defect that hasn't ever bothered me, but was accidentally discovered when I had Kawasaki's Syndrome at age 2.

nugget61

pilot
Don't think pneumonia should be a problem - had it at OCS and they got me through it. Good luck

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
I suppose I should mention i also have an asymptomatic heart defect that hasn't ever bothered me, but was accidentally discovered when I had Kawasaki's Syndrome at age 2.

How were you diagnosed with Kawasaki Syndrome, from a 75 year old that is said to suffer from the same, yet not without controversy.

Ankea

I was so sick and arthritic I could barely move. I had a giant lymphatic swelling thing the size of a small melon on my neck too, I think the diagnosis had to do with the blood work and the lymph nodes, also had a fever over 105 for a week. All my symptoms responded well to gamoglobulin treatment. I also had cardiac contractions, as well as the typical cool-aid-red palms.
I had it again when I was five, but from what I know it is a childhood disease and there have been no cases in anyone over the age of 14.

I do know that without treatment it can cause long-term cardiac complications, but in my case I really had no problems afterwords, aside from a severe childhood fear of needles.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Well, I traced it down, including a trip to Tokyo for consult with one of the few experts on the disease. His conclusion was that if I had Kawasaki Syndrome I would not be here, probably mis diagnosed or "excessive testing". So I forgot about it.

Ankea

That or you would have heart trauma from the experience. Some people survive without treatment, but there are usually life-long symptoms.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor

Good advice. I would add stop wearing the childhood problems. I know a young man that was diagnosed with CF as a child and now flies Super Hornets. As I understand Kawasaki S. the only way to ID is a 3D cardio cat scan and then it is a maybe. I would stop worrying about KS. I did.