• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can YOU identify with this ... ???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I don't normally 'do' YouTube, for a variety of reasons ... but this was sent from a former USMC/current airline Amigo of mine ... me like:

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Very funny. Some of it you have to know the blue-speak--my favorite was the "Touaro University" reference-the degree mill of choice on the USAF side.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Funny, but sadly true. That part about organizing parties and social events is the absolute truth, or was, in my community.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I loved the ending reminds me of what I wanted to say to a couple of employers in the past.

"Eat a bag of dicks I'm going to work for Wal-Mart!"

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
I'm currently serving a 1 year sentence working in an Air Force unit and this made the rounds a couple weeks back. I didn't think you could have more screwed up bullshit rating system than the Navy FITREP but the Air Force OPR definitely has us beat in that category.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Pretty spot-on critique of what the AF considers 'success'.

There are a lot of retarded things about the blue service, but this video displays the one that chaps my ass the most -- the lack of value put in the actual act of performing my service's real wartime combat mission. There are a lot of real no-shit warriors out there who wear blue (not the idiotic 'warriors' who think that saying some creed makes you one) and do phenomenal work against our nation's enemies. Unfortunately, those people are not in charge of the AF, and don't guide what the service uses to evaluate career merit.

Very, very disappointing.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I didn't think you could have more screwed up bullshit rating system than the Navy FITREP but the Air Force OPR definitely has us beat in that category.

It's not the OPR itself or even the rating 'system' that is screwed up -- it's the unspoken and unofficial requirements of what needs to be written on the OPR, and how it's supposed to read, that are a total trainwreck.

The system actually used to be more retarded than it is now. The current "Meets Standards" and "Does Not Meet Standards" rating system was a direct result of insane inflation of ratings. All that has led to is insane inflation of the comments used to rate an officer's performance.

That's not even the bad part, though. It's all the shit mentioned in the video, the indicators of merit that are used to rank officers against each other, that are what is 'really wrong' with the process. That's where the whole, "how can flying combat missions be less important than planning a fucking party??" comment in the video comes from.

Various AF leaders throughout my time on AD have tried to un-fornicate this system over the years with varying degrees of success. About 5 years ago, the AF Chief of Staff even struck the de-facto requirement to have a Masters degree to get promoted beyond O-3 (even though there were other unofficial ways that not having a Masters could get an officer sidelined, like through stratifications at the Wing level). That was a great idea until that CSAF retired, and the very next one brought the requirement back.