• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can you go over 30 years?

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Can Officers serve over 30 years as long at they have not FOSX2? Do they still accumlate 2.5% for each year over 30?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Assuming you're not otherwise bumping into a statutory HYT scenario (usually only a factor for O5 and below). For prior folks like us, statutory HYT resets at commissioning.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Assuming you're not otherwise bumping into a statutory HYT scenario (usually only a factor for O5 and below). For prior folks like us, statutory HYT resets at commissioning.

I didn't think Officers had HYT. I thought it was only FOS X2.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
The pay chart can misleading. Some groups have different rules. Like RL (Doctors,etc), that is why you such high ranks under 2 years. I would think the same would be for the top end. They are not going to boot out some doctor at 30 years like they will for a URL guy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't think Officers had HYT. I thought it was only FOS X2.
Technically it's called statutory retirement and it applies to O5/O6. FOSx2 is for O4 and below, though I imagine it would be difficult/rare to do 30 years of service (your original question) and not have made it to O5.

Here's a bunch of relevant info:
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...rRetirements/Pages/OfficerRetirementLaws.aspx

BL:
For CAPT (Title 10 USC 634)
30 years of Active Commissioned Service

For CDR (Title 10 USC 633)
28 years of Active Commissioned Service

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Technically it's called statutory retirement and it applies to O5/O6. FOSx2 is for O4 and below, though I imagine it would be difficult/rare to do 30 years of service (your original question) and not have made it to O5.

Here's a bunch of relevant info:
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...rRetirements/Pages/OfficerRetirementLaws.aspx

BL:
For CAPT (Title 10 USC 634)
30 years of Active Commissioned Service

For CDR (Title 10 USC 633)
28 years of Active Commissioned Service

That linked explained what I was looking for. The key words are Commissioned Service which you pointed out in a earlier post with the prior enlisted guys. You can do over 30 total if you had the prior enlisted time. Thanks for the info!!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That linked explained what I was looking for. The key words are Commissioned Service which you pointed out in a earlier post with the prior enlisted guys. You can do over 30 total if you had the prior enlisted time. Thanks for the info!!
For those prior-enlisted officers that are retirement elgible (>20 years total service) and FOSx2, Title 10 U.S.C. Section 632 applies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back in the day, 75% (reached @ 30) was max. If above is true, it must have changed.:confused:
BzB

Yes they did, I believe it was '06 or so when they removed the 75% cap. I had a Marine O-6 as a boss who was retiring after 40 with time as an E, CWO, LDO and regular officer who mentioned he got pretty lucky with that change coming 2 years before he retired.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
:D
I had a Marine O-6 as a boss who was retiring after 40 with time as an E, CWO, LDO and regular officer who mentioned he got pretty lucky with that change coming 2 years before he retired.
Wow, with his E time, he probably got a slight raise upon retirement. Nice timing Colonel!:D
BzB