• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can this really make you taller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
anthros for specific airframes

I have an excel spreadsheet that explains some of the requirements for some airframes. --edit--

Here, I attached the file. This is not a height requirement issue, it instead addresses specific anthropomorphic (sp?) measurements like sitting height and functional reach. It's pretty self explanatory.

Note: the attached file has important info on SHEET 1 and SHEET 2. If you open the file, you should see icons for the different sheets towards the bottom of the page.

BEN

Attachments

• anthros.xls
    17 KB · Views: 225

Rotorhead

More important are the anthro measurements. If you just make it over height-wise, chances are your butt to knee length will be too short. Or you effective reach will be too short. We had alot of cases such as these in Pcola, most of them female. The Doc at the schools command has the final say (not NOMI). If youre anywhere near Pcola you may want to get measured in the "Davids Chair". Otherwise, if you happen to stretch yourself to the minimum requirement, make damn sure you get anthropometrically measured in a Davids Chair at TBS if you are going Marine Air.

The moral of the story is: even if you fool the MEPs station, chances are youll get the axe in Pcola. IM not telling you to give up, but you have to be honest with yourself, they come up with these minimums for a reason.

Good Luck

callmekiyra

Thanks everyone.

You're right Rotorhead, I must be honest. Especially if I want to be a good Naval officer. I know I'll never get any taller. I just turned 18 so I'm as tall as I'll get. I'm equally interested in becoming a NFO but I thought I should just try for pilot as well. It wasn't meant to be. Anyone here know any great and informative NFO sites?

Hudson

You're only 18. I grew two inches after I turned 18. Don't give up yet. You still have to get through college first. You never know what will happen to your body in four years.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
David has left the building

"If you're anywhere near Pcola you may want to get measured in the "Davids Chair".

The Davids chair has gone the way of the dodo bird, in that they don't use it anymore. The things are still sitting around keeping the floor tiles from launching off into space. When I was in Quantico last summer, Aug 03, getting the last bit of my flight physical done, I saw one. The aerospace physiologist used it to put his keys, beanie, and sunglasses on while he measured me. If you're in the area, you can probably ask to sit in it and figure out where you're short. From there, it's a matter of positioning your body so you have the functional length of whatever they're measuring - tilting your pelvis if your butt to knee length is off, reaching with your back against the board, but shoulder extended, etc . But the official word comes from one of the NAMI physiologists, and you can only compensate so much.

"They" are also getting really picky about making sure that their applicants are qualified for any Naval aircraft, not just prop and helos, just jets etc..

Rugger

Rotorhead

Negative Rugger. You are probably thinking about what they used to call "the Frankenstein Chair". The Davids chair is a new "high tech" chair that uses digital imagery to measure your functional reach and sitting measurements. They are basically brand new.

I was the student control Officer for Marine Aviators in Pcola, believe me, I know of what I speak.

Rotorhead

But the official word comes from one of the NAMI physiologists, and you can only compensate so much.

Negative again there Rugger. You should know what youre talking about before you pass bum gouge.

NOMI as it is called now, not NAMI, gave up on deciding whether a Marine met the anthro requirements for flight. They do measure and they do make recommendations, but it is ultimately up to the CO of MATSG-21 and HQMC.

ALOT of bum gouge being passed on this website (along with some good info), mainly because people shoot off their yaps about stuff they only think they know.

If anybody wants some real gouge from a former Aviation Student Control Officer and flight instructor, shoot me a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.