• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can this DQ me from a flight contract

Lonestar155

is good to go
I had a question and by using the search function I came across the exact same question, but it was not really discussed much. I'm hoping that someone can add some info from personal experience. Anyways went through MEPS and hit the solid 20/20, but I do have on record that a hole in my retina was found 10 years ago. (im 21 now). Here is the thread that I found...
BTW I find out tomarrow after my consultation with the eye doc, but I want to know now..thanks

Anyone know if a small hole in the edge of the retina (no adverse symptoms) is disqualifying for Marine OCS pilot candidates? Laser surgery can repair it, but that may be disqualifying. What are the flight physical hoops that OCS flight candidates jump through to get to pilot training?
Tennfly

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
BTW I find out tomarrow after my consolation with the eye doc, but I want to know now..thanks

Well, if he's meeting with you to give you consolation then I guess the answer is no.....but, if you set up a consultation he might help you out....:icon_wink

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a question and by using the search function I came across the exact same question, but it was not really discussed much. I'm hoping that someone can add some info from personal experience. Anyways went through MEPS and hit the solid 20/20, but I do have on record that a hole in my retina was found 10 years ago. (im 21 now). Here is the thread that I found...
BTW I find out tomarrow after my consultation with the eye doc, but I want to know now..thanks

Anyone know if a small hole in the edge of the retina (no adverse symptoms) is disqualifying for Marine OCS pilot candidates? Laser surgery can repair it, but that may be disqualifying. What are the flight physical hoops that OCS flight candidates jump through to get to pilot training?
Tennfly

So the plan to assuage your anxiety about this is to get unreliable information from a bunch of morons on the internet right before you get the real verdict from an actual doctor. How does this help exactly?

Brett

Lonestar155

is good to go
So the plan to assuage your anxiety about this is to get unreliable information from a bunch of morons on the internet right before you get the real verdict from an actual doctor. How does this help exactly?

Brett

Okay, well let me ask a more specific question. How much say does this eye doctor have on the final verdict? He told me today that he may not find anything, but the military still has laws to abide by.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
You know, we all have holes in our visual fields that the brain glosses over. There's a spot where your optic nerve connects to your eye that you can't see anything in. Weird, huh? That, and you actually see the blood vessels in your eye, but your brain edits them out. Cool stuff.

Anyway...I tell this to everyone who asks this stuff, but try anyway. The worst thing they can tell you is "no," and you'll never know for sure if you don't push it as far as you can. Also, you're 21, so your age limit isn't a pressing issue if you have to persue waivers. Go for it, good luck.

-Moron on the Internet

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, well let me ask a more specific question. How much say does this eye doctor have on the final verdict? He told me today that he may not find anything, but the military still has laws to abide by.

Is he a civilian doctor? If so, he has zero say. The only folks that count in the end are the docs at NOMI and they can make or break you. It's obviously nothing you can change or do anything about. Stop worrying about things over which you have no control.

Brett

wrk

Is he a civilian doctor? If so, he has zero say. The only folks that count in the end are the docs at NOMI and they can make or break you. It's obviously nothing you can change or do anything about. Stop worrying about things over which you have no control.

Brett

Give the guy a break. He may have wanted to be a marine pilot all his life and now one tiny hole in his retna could ruin all that for him. Go back to work or something, I'm sure the military doesn't pay you to post every 3rd thread in every post on Airwarriors.

Anyway, to relate an experience related to the original question: When I went in for my DODMERB physical, the eye doctor found a hole in my retna (take note here Brett, this is where I relate actual experiences to help with the original question). He noted it on my eye exam paperwork, and recommended that I be granted a waiver. That physical went down to NOMI and they granted me a waiver, and I went to OCS, and now I'm flying. So don't get too worried, it could just be nothing. A lot of people have waivers for a lot of different stuff, and they're not hard to get at all, I actually have two.

Lonestar155

is good to go
WRK,
Hey man thanks for that post! You dont realize how important that was for me. Gives me more reason to run harder during PT and study longer for the ASTB. Always had my head up and never gave up. Thanks again sir...