• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can PRK be detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just get the waiver and don't worry about it. Why risk doing something illegal (by lying about eye surgery) when it is not illegal to begin with?

To the last reply you are right about lying when you don't need to but my situation is diffirent and I was plainning on telling them I had PRK done.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a PRK recipient, when I went through my eye screening at NAMI, one of the tests they did was corneal topography. The corpsman who did it showed me a big blue area on the resulting map, right in the middle of my cornea, which was the flat area caused by PRK. Long story short, those guys are right. It will be painfully obvious to NAMI whether you've had PRK or not.

That said, I believe the biggest hassle with PRK is the healing process. I had to wait 6 months from the date of my surgery to be able to finish my pre-commissioning flight physical. So once you are in the program, I don't think being med-down for 6 months is such a hot idea.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
Proper question = Proper answer

Okay, so what we've clarified here, to summarize, is this:

The right question really should have been, "How can I fly with PRK?"
To which the answer is, "Complete the procedure, maintaining acurate records of each visit, and apply to the Navy/Marine Corps asking for a waiver for PRK. Then, you will have a cycloplegic refraction done during your flight physical that will verify the results of the PRK, and will be approved with the waiver."

"But what if I'm already on an NFO contract?"
"Well, either you can avoid any risk and complete school to be an NFO, or, if you're desperate to be a pilot, you can have the PRK done post-OCS (prior to TBS if USMC), as long as you clear it through the chain of command AND throw caution to the winds..."

No further discourse necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.