• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can PRK be detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
Rather than trying to hide your PRK, you should be making sure you have detailed and accurate records pertaining to it, specifically the Pre-operative eye exam, the records of the operation itself, and the post-op visits. If you've got all that, what's there to hide? A PRK waiver is no big deal, especially if you're stabilized 20/20 as a result.

--- and yes, even a precursory look at the corneal surface by a generic optometrist will reveal a laser procedure.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
JetJunkie said:
Absolutely.

Whether your farsighted or nearsighted has to do with more the shape of your eyeball. Since you can't alter the shape of the eyeball, PRK and other forms of CRS acheive the same effect by reshaping just the cornea. Any eye with PRK will very readily be different than "virgin" (untreated) eyes.

I had my eyes checked the other day and the doc said that they can also see traces of scaring from a laser procedure when they use one of their machines (ever notice how many crazy devices those places have?).

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I remember hearing anecdotal stories of someone getting booted for an integrity violation for using those contacts.

First of all I am not trying to hide anything since I have not even had PRK done yet. And I have no idea what contacts you guys are talking about. I was just curious if PRK could be detected. I have a pre opp oppointment on the 28th of this month. So on the 28 of this month I will find out if they can do the surgery.

Jeff29

Science Project
phrogdriver said:
I remember hearing anecdotal stories of someone getting booted for an integrity violation for using those contacts.
I think that was actually a guy in the Air Force (translation: not too bright).

nugget81

pilot
I talked to my eye surgeon today and he said that PRK can only be detected by "eye topography" (which all military branches do nowadays). He stated that if someone who had PRK done walked into some random eye doctor's office that the doctor would not know the difference. Just my $0.02....

Jeff29

Science Project
nugget81 said:
I talked to my eye surgeon today and he said that PRK can only be detected by "eye topography" (which all military branches do nowadays). He stated that if someone who had PRK done walked into some random eye doctor's office that the doctor would not know the difference. Just my $0.02....
So did your doctor get his degree online? If a doctor knows what he's looking for, he can usually tell by using a slit lamp (which all eye doctors use). You should get your $0.02 back :)

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
QUESTION: If I'm getting commissioned this coming August, is it too late to have a PRK done?? I picked up NFO and dont wanna switch to pilot or anything like that...just want my eyes fixed. Any advice???

nugget81

pilot
Jeff29 said:
Wear contacts. Worry about surgery after you get winged.

Seriously, don't even consider it!

That's some good advice. Don't fix something that isn't broken...

nugget81

pilot
Jeff29 said:
So did your doctor get his degree online? If a doctor knows what he's looking for, he can usually tell by using a slit lamp (which all eye doctors use). You should get your $0.02 back :)

Wow...ouch. I didn't know that you were an eye doctor yourself. You may be right about "if a doctor knows what he's looking for", but once you are healed there should be no scarring. Like I said, if you walk into any random eye doctor's office (and he didn't know that you'd have PRK done), then he probably wouldn't be looking for it. The telltale sign is the flattening of the cornea (which is easily seen on an eye topography chart). I'm no eye doctor either, but I've done a lot of research on PRK and even had it done about a month ago...

Jeff29

Science Project
Sorry, I just couldn't resist the online degree thing.

Not that any of this really matters, but pretty much everyone is going to have some indication of the surgery (scarring, trace haze, slight irregularities in the epithelium, etc). Over time, these will all dissipate, but c'mon this is a surgical precedure in which they literally vaporize corneal tissue (you smelled it, right?). A good doctor will be able to tell without a topo.

As for experience, you are right, I'm not a doctor. However, I'm pretty confident in saying that unless there is a refractive surgeon on the board, I am the resident expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.