• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I still be an Officer (shoplifted in 1998)

PlumbZep

Can anybody tell me if i have a chance in hell of becoming a (INTEL) Navy officer?

In 1998, just after I turned 18, I was stupid enough to try and steal a c.d. The city let me take a class and pay some fines, and then it was cleared from my record.

I have a Bachelors in Political Science with a 3.09 GPA.

I took the ASTB and got a 65 OAR 8-7-7. I'm just hoping that the shoplifting mistake won't screw this opportunity over.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Have you talked to an officer recruiter?

Anything you hear from anyone on here is going to be a) Conjecture or Hearsay and b) Ineffectual - the only person that can get you into the Navy is an officer recruiter (of some kind).

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
The questions I have are:
1. What was the CD?
2. What were you actually covicted of?
3. Was your record sealed or expunged (2 different things).
Felonies will keep you out. Anything else and you are probably OK.

PlumbZep

1. The CD was a $4 Tupac single (can't believe I was actually into that music.)

2. I don't believe I was convicted of anything, they approached me with the shoplifting class before I saw a judge.

3. Since I never saw a judge I'm not sure if the incident being sealed or expunged would apply.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. The CD was a $4 Tupac single (can't believe I was actually into that music.)

2. I don't believe I was convicted of anything, they approached me with the shoplifting class before I saw a judge.

3. Since I never saw a judge I'm not sure if the incident being sealed or expunged would apply.

Sounds like you need to investigate your own record, then ask questions. That way you know exactly your circumstances before talking to an officer recruiter.

schwarti

Contributor
I wouldn't let it stop you. Like everyone on here says - the only sure-fire way to not get accepted is to not apply. I don't think that incident would 100% disqualify you, so try.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like you need to investigate your own record, then ask questions. That way you know exactly your circumstances before talking to an officer recruiter.

Good advice!! You need to know your record so you know where you stand. Kind of hard to advise you if we don't know the whole deal. So were you actually arrested? If you were arrested but not convicted then pay a lawyer to do the paperwork to have your record expunged.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I'm willing to say your shoplifting issue will be cause for you to not get into the intel community. Not because you stole something, but that you weren't smart enough to get away with one CD ;)

snake020

Contributor
They will probably waive it. I know a guy that did the exact same thing on the AF side but didn't report it on his entry paperwork, and when it came time to do his EPSQ, he said hey, I screwed up and need to fix this. At that point it was treated as an integrity issue and they showed him the door while saying if he had come clean from the start it would have been easily waived.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Yep, definitely tell them everything. If anything, it will show that you have learned your lesson and know better now.