• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Camp Pendleton

LtFluco

Could you survive in the BOQ at Pendleton for the RAG with just a Bicycle? I hear ridiculous stories about the emissions, and it couldn't hurt to incorporate gas-saving thriftiness and a workout into my RAG experience, right?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is a pretty dumb idea on any number of levels.
#1 the BOQ at Pendleton sucks period, you will have a fridge and a microwave, rent a plae with some friends, there will be plenty of people in the same situation
#2 You will have late flights and often not leave work until dar, even in the RAG you will have a ground job. With the way safety Nazis have taken over the Marine Corps I would be surprised if they let you ride a bike on base at night. The Q is about 10 miles from the air station and you will have books and other stuff to haul back and forth.
#3 Getting a base decal in Cali is pretty easy, there are plenty of emissions testing places and the standard isnt that high for emissions, anything you might be driving will pretty much pass.

IF you are dead set on the Q and a bike at least have a car as back up and to be able to go off base to enjoy SoCal.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I know some guys who voluntarily bike more than 10mi to work on occasion (one psycho goes from Hampstead to MCAS New River), but I would definitely have a car there, too. You DON'T want to get done with a goggle hop at 0100 and have to pedal your ass back to go sleep.

KBayDog

Even on a CAVU day, I wouldn't recommend riding a bike on Pendleton. You would be competing with a lot of fast-moving vehicular traffic on roads which tend to be rolling, have narrow shoulders, and blind corners.

The benefits of commuting on a bicycle do not seem worth the risks.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Don't hold your breath on the BOQ room, either. For those of us East Coast Huey guys, we got the complete runaround from the BOQ, saying they didn't have room, but they could only give us a CNA for a certain amount of time, and then whenever a room opened up, we'd have to move in. Oh, and they said we might have to move around a few times. OBVIOUSLY, that's kind of hard when you've got more important things to worry about. It sucks, but you'll still get per diem (just not as much as you could with a CNA). Definitely look for a place out in town and away from Oceanside.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't hold your breath on the BOQ room, either. For those of us East Coast Huey guys, we got the complete runaround from the BOQ, saying they didn't have room, but they could only give us a CNA for a certain amount of time, and then whenever a room opened up, we'd have to move in. Oh, and they said we might have to move around a few times. OBVIOUSLY, that's kind of hard when you've got more important things to worry about. It sucks, but you'll still get per diem (just not as much as you could with a CNA). Definitely look for a place out in town and away from Oceanside.

Ahh yes. The Corps taking care of their own - per usual. :rolleyes:

Brett