• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Camp Barrett got pwned

Malice 1

pilot
The big power transformer near the Instructor Bn barracks caught on fire and bled up last night at about 2100. Now all of camp barrett is without electricity. The explosion was caused by a massive short in the underground conduit. There were construction crews frantically digging up LZ-7 and they are gonna start digging up the PT field at any time.

O'bannon hall is pitch black in the hallways. Everyone is walking around with flashlights trying to read the readboard. It's real fun. The chowhall, bank, etc are all closed due to lack of power.

The classrooms in Heywood are strung up with temporary construction lights powered by a generator sitting outside the room.

The whole situation is funny as hell. I feel bad for the guys that are gonna take cold showers tonight. It's good to be a brown bagger....

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Maybe this will be yet another wake-up call to the big men in charge that TBS needs a radical transformation. Why spend so much money on a new building at OCS for classrooms - which I don't agree with because having classes in the hot old airplane hangers is something I'll never forget - and yet let Camp Barrett further fall into utter disrepair. I would hate to be there right now and feel bad for the Lts who have to put up with it now.

usmcecho4

pilot
Ah...TBS. I always laugh when the Navy/AF instructors and students at API complain about facilities where the projectors always work, the network is never down, and the building isn't literally falling apart. Beware of falling ceiling tiles. I still don't understand why they are even bothering remodeling TBS when it's allegedly slated for destruction and reconstruction so soon.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
usmcecho4 said:
I still don't understand why they are even bothering remodeling TBS when it's allegedly slated for destruction and reconstruction so soon.

I've never heard this. How realistic is the prospect of a new TBS? Did The Corps perfect the growth of money trees?

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
The condition of TBS is an absolute shame...we actually had a Lt who was injured during class because one of the soaking wet ceiling tiles fell on him....ludicrous...also..what about the five million that was spent on the Marine Marathon building on mainside...seems to me to be just a tad misappropriated...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Marine Corps being irresponsible and wasteful with money? The hell you say!

Lawman

None
squeeze said:
The Marine Corps being irresponsible and wasteful with money? The hell you say!

Yeah but look at where some of the other services funnel their appropriations dollars.
05tempbs.JPG

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Yeah but look at where some of the other services funnel their appropriations dollars.

The difference? The other services have more money to divert to such causes and still maintain equipment and take care of their people.

Lawman

None
squeeze said:
The difference? The other services have more money to divert to such causes and still maintain equipment and take care of their people.

Marine Corps standard: Do more with less. You know it and I know it.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Do you feel that Marines take pride in the fact that they don't have the money to spend on gimmicks like the AF F-22 models and whatnot? I've always got the feeling from every Marine that they wouldn't want that sort of money it would somehow take away some of their prestige, their toughness, their ability to do more with less? Just something I've pondered...

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
ah posted only seconds before me!

Lawman said:
Marine Corps standard: Do more with less. You know it and I know it.

What I was trying to get at in my last post...

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Regardless of the whole "do more with less" issue, TBS needs some serious help or it won't be operational in a few years. The S-4 at TBS did a study that was published in the Marine Corps Gazette about how horrible the facilities are. He showed my company a powerpoint presentation on the same subject that he had previously shown to a bunch of Generals...needless to say, he said there were some pretty pissed off Generals in that auditorium at the end of the presentation.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
usmcecho4 said:
Ah...TBS. I always laugh when the Navy/AF instructors and students at API complain about facilities where the projectors always work, the network is never down, and the building isn't literally falling apart. Beware of falling ceiling tiles. I still don't understand why they are even bothering remodeling TBS when it's allegedly slated for destruction and reconstruction so soon.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

The "rebuilding" is to be done over the course of 10 years and is really just a beefed up renovation. New armory, new housing unit, fix old housing units, new parking lots etc...some buildings will remain and just be fixed up...of course the 10 year schedule is now about 5 behind schedule...

Malice 1

pilot
wellllllll.........

The power has been out for 48 hours now. Many people are going home with brown baggers or getting hotel rooms. It's been 3 nights since the barracks dwellers have had a chance to shower.

The latest speculation is that the power will be restored on monday sometime.

The TBS CO must have been really bored today since his computer/lights are down. He walked into our classes in heywood hall every 5 or 10 minutes and messed with the instructors. He would ask ridiculous questions, blurt out jokes, and mess with Lt's on the ends of the rows. It was pretty damn funny to see a Colonel acting so silly.