• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Callsign etiquette

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some times if you knew a friend who made skipper, he/she could even be one rank ahead of you, you could call him by his callsign as long as you weren't in his squadron.

Otherwise CO is Skipper, XO is XO.

KBayDog

Green side of the house is a different beast. Skipper is "Sir," XO is "Sir," OpsoO is "Sir,"...etc, etc, etc. (Of course, in a flight, call signs are used).

As for the JOs, first names are used. Using call signs on a non-flight basis is a lame fixed-wing fixation.

Of course, we Company Grade will come up with a bunch of non-official call signs to refer to the Field Grade, because Field Grade suck.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
How about SWO Call signs? Not exactly what you're looking for but...

Exactly. It's called professional courtesy.

When dealing with O-4 and above be careful what you call them. I ignored this PC phenomena for a while. In Barbados, during one port visit -my old XO tried to throw me off the 7th floor hotel balcony for "repeated use/abuse of the English language" while he was hammered. During that incident the CO grabbed him and told him to CHILL in 1980's vocabulary. I loved to crop the F bomb at times and this particular XO was absolutely driven crazy by that. What an prude and pre-madonna. THANK YOU XO LCDR BILL WALSH! I still think of you! If you ever get to Fresno give me a call!

That said- I was a JG with an attitude. Does it still show 25 years later? It didn't work well on this XO's ship. USS Boone FFG-28. The CO was great to me so go figure, the XO was a prick and a bonafied "Who stole the Strawberries" type gent that was very socially adept to non ships company? YUP, on some ships the XO is really the CO if the XO's ego is strong enough. BELIEVE IT!

As I learned the political game as a junior officer, it became apparent that NAVY politics are often similar to CIV politics, in some cases worse. I still refer to him as "ASSHOLE" to my favorite former active duty friends who retired in recent years.

Don't get me wrong I still love the NAVY and MANY friends that I made. I still keep in touch with several of them to this day. The politics at times were another story. I think the 80's were the beginning of the PC revolution for many O-4's. Some even viewed this newly manufactured PC thing as a tool that could accelerate advancement if applied strategically. Sorry for quasi-thread jack.

Clap Off!

Huh??? :confused:

Carlos Caliente

None
CAMike, at no point did you touch on the subject at hand.
We are all dumber for having read that.

To further illustrate co/xo callsign usage, if co/xo are calling each other by callsign within a flight it is by no means okay for hinge and below to follow suit. Still skipper/xo, unless it's on Jopa tac. Game on.

CAMike

None
Contributor
CAMike, at no point did you touch on the subject at hand.
We are all dumber for having read that.

To further illustrate co/xo callsign usage, if co/xo are calling each other by callsign within a flight it is by no means okay for hinge and below to follow suit. Still skipper/xo, unless it's on Jopa tac. Game on.

Good point: SWO's don't really have call signs like "Assh.." etc. My apologies for the threadjack. It just stirred some memories of "names" for certain folks back in active duty. I'll go back down to the bilges now.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It should not be overlooked that personal callsigns were not the catchy nicknames they have become today. Rather back in the day, they were a necessary and effective means to prosecute aerial combat.

Reinventing and improving the famous and very successful Thatch Weave tactics of WW-II, Loose Deuce tactics involving combat spread were reborn for air-to-air combat in Vietnam. The early Top Gun devised and promoted these newer tactics that included essential special communication between aircraft, including callsigns.

Crisp and precise communications were essential to the effectiveness of mutual combat support, especially where the "tactical lead" could easily become the CO's nugget JG wingman, directing his skipper on how to maneuver, instantaneously without hesitation.

Our squadron had an airborne callsign of "Switchbox" (we shortened it to "Switches"). But with sometimes four separate Switchbox sections airborne simultaneously in different areas and maybe on the same freq., if somebody broadcast, "Switches break port!" You would have 6 aircraft breaking unnecessarily to port instead of the one Switchbox intended.

Therefore, each section airborne within our squadron had to have its own separate callsign. Perhaps a personal one.

And of course, each flight lead would use his personal callsign for his respective two-plane section or four-plane division.

As a wingman if I gained the tactical lead, I could transmit to the CO, "Hammer", (his callsign) port tac now!" And he – and only he - would immediately break port without hesitation. It was how we trained. And vice versa – "Hammers break starboard!" And I would, immediately! Just like close order drill on the grinder.

But on the ground, he was always, "Skipper" and never, ever "Hammer."

(And never ever in enemy territory transmit "Skipper" or "XO" unless you want him to become an enemy, high-value target!)

Indeed, although long retired and at the same retired rank, I still call my former skippers "Skipper" as much as I do their old personal callsigns (except for the most colorful ones.)

For us air-to-air fighters, personal callsigns were a tactical necessity!

But we always later laughed as the callsign phenomena spread (unnecessarily) to attack drivers, and later apparently, throughout the Nav. (A result of that 'movie' no doubt.) I guess it just expanded to become fun, and a fun tradition. And nothing wrong with that.

Nevertheless those other-than-tactical-fighter callsigns are really only fun nicknames; not true combat tactical callsigns as initially intended and effectively used back in the day. :)

"Cats, cross-turn, now!" ...... "Two!"
"Cats, RTB, to the barn, and a brew debrief." ........... "Two!" ;)
"Cats. Buster!" ............"Yehaww!!!!!!!" :D:D:D

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
In my first squadron, an HMM only a few guys with really appropos callsigns would be called by them in conversation. In flights, we'd use them, though.

In my current squadron, a VMM, everyone who has one is called by that, for the most part. Extreme junior to senior, not as much. CO and XO are "CO" and "XO," except when flying, when they're called by callsign.

Tactically, you go by your ATO callsign, unless working a routine admin flight, when you might make a call with your personal c/s.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Hey, Cat...you were doin' good, 'til you got to this:

"For us air-to-air fighters, personal callsigns were a tactical necessity! But we always later laughed as the callsign phenomena spread (unnecessarily) to attack drivers..."

So you see no need for clear, concise comm in a "furball" over Hanoi, Phu Ly, Thanh Hoa...involving a/c from two different CAG's, from two different CVA's...maybe some USAF guys...now toss in a couple MIG's...no tactical necessities here, though...right??
icon12.gif

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, Cat...you were doin' good, 'til you got to this:

"For us air-to-air fighters, personal callsigns were a tactical necessity! But we always later laughed as the callsign phenomena spread (unnecessarily) to attack drivers..."

So you see no need for clear, concise comm in a "furball" over Hanoi, Phu Ly, Thanh Hoa...involving a/c from two different CAG's, from two different CVA's...maybe some USAF guys...now toss in a couple MIG's...no tactical necessities here, though...right??
icon12.gif
OK, OK, OK. Take your pack off. :)

I will grant you some attack pukes may have "occasionally" had the need for a personal tactical callsign. ;) ........ Certainly a lot more than "Spy" or "Spook" for the AI guy, and "Quack" or "Dicksmith" for the Flt. Surgeon. :D

Pags

N/A
pilot
I always find it amusing when Mids show up in the squadron and invariably, one of the first questions they have is: "what's your callsign?" followed closely by "when do you get a callsign?"

We always manage to disappoint them when we say "well, as helo guys we aren't as nutty about callsigns as the jet guys". I know plenty of folks who have nicknames. And we have mess names for mess meeting shenanigans. I don't know too many helo folks who have an honest to god callsign that has supplanted their actual name and has become a part of their identity. Most people just call each other by their names on the ground.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
So just how many AW's here are using their callsigns here?

I use mine :D So I was at Barnes and Noble today and happened upon a book, Flying the Worlds Greatest Military Aircraft and there was a quote from me and they used my callsign, Bunky. Now don't ask me why the E2/C2 was mentioned in a book on the world's greatest military aircraft :confused:

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I use mine :D So I was at Barnes and Noble today and happened upon a book, Flying the Worlds Greatest Military Aircraft and there was a quote from me and they used my callsign, Bunky. Now don't ask me why the E2/C2 was mentioned in a book on the world's greatest military aircraft :confused:
Obviously you made it great. :) I figured you and Master were using call-signs, not sure on some of the others though.