• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

calling shotgun

Rubiks06

pilot
Im going against the grain too. Mossberg 500 is the way to go. You can also get just about any type of barrel (long, short, smooth, rifled even a black powder barrel) you want and they are cheap and reliable. They take both 2 3/4 and 3' shells if your looking for some magnum OO buck or even some of the higher end turkey loads. All and all i think Mossberg 500 is the best choice.

Rubiks06

pilot
As far as home defense....no...not a big spray but def more knock down power than your standard 9mm. Hard to stand with a broken pelvis or 9 .30 cal pellets in your chest. Def more bang for the buck.

Rubiks06

pilot
ok you are right your not going to knock them off their feet you could take a shot gun blast to the chest at point blank standing on one foot. You are correct sir. Lets call it....."i dont want to play anymore power"...Fair enough?.....Though i still say...shot to the groin breaks the pelvis therfore making it impossible to stand...and...knocking the person down. Again you are right...no movie type getting blown across the room stuff.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ok you are right your not going to knock them off their feet you could take a shot gun blast to the chest at point blank standing on one foot. You are correct sir. Lets call it....."i dont want to play anymore power"...Fair enough?.....Though i still say...shot to the groin breaks the pelvis therfore making it impossible to stand...and...knocking the person down. Again you are right...no movie type getting blown across the room stuff.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

The term "knock down power" is a gun magazine/Hollywood term. It just doesn't exist. It's kind of like "Assault Weapons". Bullets don't knock people over, not bullets fired from normal guns anyway. It's more of a semantic argument, I know, but I hate the Hollywood butchering of all this stuff.

What you are referring to is "stopping power". The ability to stop the target... in other words, disable, put it down, etc etc. Is a 12 gauge burst of buckshot more powerful? HELL YEAH!

I do like "I don't want to play anymore power" though! :D I think I'll adopt that term.

Rubiks06

pilot
No worries...i figured we were arguing the same point. Ive actually seen a pretty cool demo of this. There was a guy that used to go around with the local police force in Va. Beach back in the early 90's. He would have a volunteer shoot him in the chest. He would wear a flack jacket and a vest underneath. Either way he would have the helper shoot him in the chest while he was on one leg to prove that it was all hollywood. He also used to stuff his shirt with Sears catalogs and other thick phone book type stuff and shoot himself for another one of his demos, my dad was telling me he died a few years back from this very demo....im sure theres a Darwin award in there somewhere.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow. Yeah, he was asking for a fatal accident. Makes me think of stories you hear from Desert Storm and whatnot of soldiers being bored and seeing if their flak jackets actually work... too bad they weren't designed to stop 9mm, or better yet... 5.56mm.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Little late to the discussion....but....what he said...:D

Remington 870 Express. Hands down. Everything else is an imitation

Stone cheap, ultra reliable and can be configured to do anything....hunting intruders to hunting deer...and everything in between.

theduke

def more knock down power than your standard 9mm.

haha, YA THINK?

a 12 gauge is on the short list of ultimate home defense tools.

and you don't really want that much spread...you want to put a bunch of pellets into your intended target.

as far as the original post, my first choice would be a Remington 870 as well. You can get an Express all day long, and you could probably find a nice used Wingmaster for that price.

Mossberg gets an honorable mention for good bang-for-the-buck weapon.

and i know a Marine who tested his Interceptor vest with his roommate's .38.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mossberg gets an honorable mention for good bang-for-the-buck weapon.

Yep, Mossberg is another good choice. Not as well made as Remington, but still quality and combat tested.

While the Interceptor with SAPI plates was designed to stop rifle bullets... it's still not smart to willingly get shot.

theduke

yeah, it's supposed to stop up to 7.62x39 (i don't know about x54mm) with the plates in. he didn't have the SAPI plates installed, though. he wrapped it around a sandbag to test the effectiveness, then wore it and had his roommate shoot him.

right up there with Poncho Parachute in terms of Stupid Jarhead Tricks.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Wow, I can't believe people would get so bored as to want to willingly get shot at, wearing armor or not. I flip out if someone points an empty gun at me, I can't imagine facing the business end with a live round in the chamber.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Im going against the grain too. Mossberg 500 is the way to go. You can also get just about any type of barrel (long, short, smooth, rifled even a black powder barrel) you want and they are cheap and reliable. They take both 2 3/4 and 3' shells if your looking for some magnum OO buck or even some of the higher end turkey loads. All and all i think Mossberg 500 is the best choice.

I see your point, but as far as handling is concerned, the 870 still beats it. This guy is looking for a pump shotgun and from what I've experienced, the Mossberg doesn't compare. Ever wonder why the forearm is so damned flimsy? I'm not sure, but it's one of the most annoying things I've ever encountered when shooting one. Not even a thought in my mind with the Remington 870... I could do without those distractions when getting ready to pull the trigger.

Rubiks06

pilot
I guess i have to get my hands on an 870. I have wondered why there is a little play in the forearm. For a pump i have very limited experience with the 870. For a semi i do like remingtons 1187...though as far as shotguns go...its a tad on the heavy side.