• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

California Love

CUBUFFS4134

Tellin’ it like it is.
pilot
Contributor
Approaching my PCS move in December to the communist state of California and want to ensure I have my shit in one sock with legality. Currently, I have one SBR and 3 cans (written into a revocable living trust) that I know can't make the move with me. Additionally, I have multiple shotguns, rifles and pistols of various calibers. My questions, especially @Gatordev and @xmid :
-Will the ATF paperwork for an interstate move cover me (3 year orders), with "plans" to return to Virginia. Plan is to have my father-in-law hold onto them in North Carolina.
-Can I simply write him into the trust as a trustee and be legally covered?
-The other various weapons are legal provided I don't have any magazines with over 10 round capacity, correct?

Anythnig else I am missing, please let me know. I appreciate the feedback and support. Fly safe!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Approaching my PCS move in December to the communist state of California and want to ensure I have my shit in one sock with legality. Currently, I have one SBR and 3 cans (written into a revocable living trust) that I know can't make the move with me. Additionally, I have multiple shotguns, rifles and pistols of various calibers. My questions, especially @Gatordev and @xmid :
-Will the ATF paperwork for an interstate move cover me (3 year orders), with "plans" to return to Virginia. Plan is to have my father-in-law hold onto them in North Carolina.
-Can I simply write him into the trust as a trustee and be legally covered?
-The other various weapons are legal provided I don't have any magazines with over 10 round capacity, correct?

Anythnig else I am missing, please let me know. I appreciate the feedback and support. Fly safe!

Can’t speak to the living trust, but California does have some specific rules on their weapons. Being military on PCS orders means you don’t have to register them upon moving in. If you get out of the military or switch to SELRES (gray area) and stay in California, you do have to register.

If you have a weapon California considers an assault weapon, you either have to modify it to fit California rules or leave it out of the state. They got rid of the military exemption back in 2011 unless you can get your base CO to sign off on it being necessary for your military duties.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Which state was the trust created in? Or more specifically, was it created in a state other than NC?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A follow up to your PM...

I'd recommend configuring at least one AR lower into a featureless configuration to make matters easy. I ended up configuring two lowers while I was there and then made all my uppers compliant. That way I could drop a mag (and at the time, have a > 10 round mag, which is no more) as needed. IBB has some good links, and Calguns.net is a great resource. My info is a little dated, but basically to have an AR in a non-AW config, it needs to have a brake (non-flash-hiding muzzle...so no device will work too), no VFG (I used a handstop) and a FIXED-STOCK. That last part is important. I pinned my stocks myself. They were able to be reconfigured, which is technically a no-no, but it would have taken a LEO a while to figure out how without tools.

You could also buy a pistol lower now and then import it into the state (no paperwork required, as IBB mentioned, since you're DoD). Then you could shoot shorty uppers on that lower. I'm not in any way smart on what's going on with shouldering a pistol in CA, as opposed to how it's tolerated in most of the rest of the country.