• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cable snapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
USS Ranger, April 1991, 1stLt Frumby waiting at the hold short at NAS Miramar in the mighty T-2. Whole flight recalled back to the ramp due to a TomKitty catching an improperly weighted 3 wire ripping it out of the flight deck and carrying it to Davey Jones. Crew got out. Day two, 1stLt Frumby, T-2, NAS Miramar, hold short, recalled yet again. Why? A-6E caught a beautiful 2 wire (3 wire could not be fixed until back in port due to severe damage. Fresnel Lens retargeted for 2 wire vice 3)except on decel, hook snapped, A-6E veers toward front of the island. Marine RAG student pilot and Instructor NFO wisely decided to exit the accident investigation scene. In front of the island sit 3 pristine F/A-18C from VMFAT-101 with a grand total of less then 75 hours on all 3 aircraft combined. Like the ol buck, Grumman Iron proves it is still formidable to the 3 plastic, unsuspecting, McDonnell Douglas, young bucks and carrys them to Davey Jones Locker. Not one person got hurt during both incidents except for the Marine A-6E pilot. Showing a distinct dilike to water, the good lord decides to place him and his chute on the forward angle deck. As if on parade to his peers, he is drug the length of the flight deck because the ship is making her own 30 knots of wind. After his body scab is removed and his is returned to up medical flight status 1 year after the accident, he is given the callsign "ACE." After 4 American kills he needed only one more to become a Russian Ace. 1stLt Frumby never sees the Ranger on this detachment because flight operations are suspended. Point is, the flight deck is damn dangerous. You never, ever know what is going to happen and you have to constantly stay on your toes. You have genuine concern and respect for ever one who works on the flight deck. Everyone except the P-3 puke Catapult officer.....Its about damn time they find out that the Navy means "Ships!" Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by Frumby
You have genuine concern and respect for ever one who works on the flight deck. Everyone except the P-3 puke Catapult officer.....Its about damn time they find out that the Navy means "Ships!" Semper, Frumby
icon_smile.gif
Hmm, don't know precisely how to take that. The majority of aircrew (and to a good extent, maintainers) in P3 squadrons don't have a clue as to how good they have it compared to their shipmates at sea, or at times how much more dangerous it is. But there is a good portion of priors and SWO cross deckers in my wardroom that try and pound some sense into them when they start complaining. TRE/ORSE/drydock/Tiger team refits/surges/10k down and no water.... Ever been down almost to test depth in a submarine (all those lovely creaks and pops) or not seen the sunshine for a couple of months? Been smashed around in storm lashed waters on the stern trying to pull out a couple miles worth of trailing wire from a torpedo out of the screw? Just pointing out that that is not an "all inclusive" statment.

contrail_dash

When I was around 8, my brother and I would take this coffee table and tape string across one end like wires. We then taped paper clips to the back of our model airplanes like hooks, and straws on the top. Had about a 6 foot string running through that tied off to a chair on the other side of the table.....you can see where this is going...

we destroyed that table...and the tape didn't hold the wires very well.

thats just my dumb wire story.

19873016.jpg

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Naw, I would have to say that P-3 and "Puke" is symbiotic and quite inclusive. Besides, I just threw that in for you anyway! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

beau

haha contrail! I used to build little Jets out of Legos.......then when my dad would get back from cruise he would beat my ass for losing legos in every square inch of the house........man he hated Legos!! HAHAHAHHAH!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.