• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

C-17 Crash in Alaska

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
We brought a P-3 up here to the airshow and as we were taxing to our spot, the C-17 was holding short for us. Right when I stepped off the plane I saw all the smoke arcoss the airfield. Thoughts and prayers to those aboard and their families.

jtmedli

pilot
I dont know the details on this one, but one of my high school buddies is a C-17 driver and he was heading up to Elmendorf this week. Definitely hitting very close to home!! RIP gentlemen

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I interviewed with the 249th Airlift Squadron last summer - a really great group of aviators.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
PropStop, we had a good time at the Moose's Tooth last night, thanks for coming out with us. Today, I was fortunate to get hooked up with a ride in the Blue Angel's "Fat Albert" during the demo. That was a great experience.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Non-ASO question. How is it that they can publish the "executive summary" of what I assume is the AF equivalent of a SIR on a public website? I see they have a disclaimer at the bottom, but still.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Non-ASO question. How is it that they can publish the "executive summary" of what I assume is the AF equivalent of a SIR on a public website? I see they have a disclaimer at the bottom, but still.

Because the Air Force actually wants their pilots to hear about and learn from their mishaps. That way (ideally) they won't happen again.

The Navy/Marine Corps has adopted a form of "Top Secret/Cone of Silence" mentality to anything and everything related to all of our mishaps.

You'll also notice that the Air Force writes their reports in plain English as opposed to the idiotic all-caps/coded message style format that we use (as if it were translated from Morse code on some 1940's communication center).

We had a thread about this before. Bottom line (IMHO), the Safety Center cares more about privacy and secrecy than they do about getting the word out on the causes of mishaps. That leads to rampant rumors (which the ASO brownshirts try valiantly to stamp out) and a lot of folks wondering what, if anything, is wrong with their aircraft or procedures that might someday kill them.

The Air Force knows those answers and makes sure that they get the word out. Look at their mishap rate and tell me how bad it's screwing them.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I am surprised that this made it public. I didn't know the Air Force handled this differently.

Since we're on the subject, who and where can a pilot go to in order to read SIRs about mishaps in his or her airframe without waiting for the next ORM/CRM/Safety Brief?

Flying Toaster

None

Well if anyone has some time to kill here is the entire thing. Takes a while to load, so "save as" may be advisable.

http://www.pacaf.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-101210-079.pdf

Not sure where you would typically find it, but after most incidents someone tends to post it over on Baseops.