• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

C-130 Pipeline

jDUB

I just selected C-130s on the 28th and have a question regarding the pipeline.
I know that there is a C-130 RAG (VMGRT-253) but I have heard that pilots aren't going there. After winging we go to Little Rock for 2 weeks to fly the sim and then straight to the squadron for OJT. Is this true? If not, how long can I expect to be in the RAG?

usmcecho4

pilot
I just selected C-130s on the 28th and have a question regarding the pipeline.
I know that there is a C-130 RAG (VMGRT-253) but I have heard that pilots aren't going there. After winging we go to Little Rock for 2 weeks to fly the sim and then straight to the squadron for OJT. Is this true? If not, how long can I expect to be in the RAG?

Congrats on the selection. As to your question VMGRT-253 was shut down over a year ago. After winging you will either go to the ATU (aviation training unit) at Cherry Point NC for approx 4 months (about 40 sim events) or to Air Force Training at Little Rock for approx 3 months for their initial training then on to some Marine specific training afterward. Sometime between wings and c-130 specific training you should go to water survival and SERE school depending on slot availability. If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
jDub, how many 130 slots were there at your selection time? I want 130s but I understand that they are very difficult to get.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Out of the 100 or so air contracts my TBS class had, if I remember right, I can think of about 6 or 7 that went C-130's. They aren't "hard" to get persay, meaning you don't have to be a rockstar, but like everything, timing is pretty big with them. My buddies who got them, and wanted them....for some weird reason...from the very beginning....let it be known when asked by their instructors...and like instructors do....they let the word get around...and low and behold they had slots when they selected. While we're at it, I know people who've attrited out of Advanced in the C-130 track, straight and level CAN be difficult.

MasterBates

I know people who've attrited out of Advanced in the C-130 track, straight and level CAN be difficult.

It's that asymetric thrust thing.. Harder than I thought. The sim is kicking my ass at the moment single engine.. And I have enough hours that I should be smoking it.

Ric Hard

Currently at TBS and spoke to a Major who was a C-130 driver during our MCMAP class. He also happens to work at the pentagon in the wing so know how many slots are available every year. He said usually 4-10 slots max and its a tough community to get into so congrats on getting C-130's!

propwash

seems most jet avatars aren't even pilots yet
pilot
Not to be nit-picky, but VMGRT-253 went away "less" than a year ago (Sept 06), not that the timeframe matters. Not too many guys are going to JMATS due to scheduling and funding issues, the majority are doing the ATU route. But that is an ebb and flow thing and may change (and this is dated experience).

Loss of 253 already has been felt; a guy can learn to fly anywhere, but learning how a squadron works, before you get to your fleet squadron, was a good thing. Some of the recent generation have had a steep learning curve. A lot will be expected of you when you show up to 252/352/152. The old rule applies, talk less, listen more, do as told... works awesome for your first year or so.

The J model is a great aircraft to fly, you most likely will like it. Hard not to.

Be patient with what you have in front of you. We are all tapped with the continuing deployments to Iraq, most of us are on our second or third tour. The squadrons are working hard to support other real world frags and training, and then now have to assume taking brand new folks from the ATU and get them spooled up. It will be a slinky effect, but one day you will be all shiney and qualified and it all works out. But don't get to wrapped up over the exact path and timeline that will take you there, none of that is carved in stone.

Good avatar if you were flying USAF C-130s...

Bighead

C-130 Track

I am getting ready to start API and I could either get a Corpus slot or a Whiting slot. For the guys that have gotten C-130s where did you go for primary? Does anyone think it makes a difference on getting C-130s?

Thanks

usmcecho4

pilot
Went to Corpus for primary. Don't think it made any difference when selection came around but it did make the transition to VT-31 easier as I already knew the areas both recreational and working. Good luck.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

TuxFlier

When are going to start sending Marines to fly AC-130s for an exchange? If they ever will?

If they ever have, I've never heard of it, but it's right up a Marine's alley.

KC130FE

Livin' the Life!
Oh. You mean infantry Marines type shooting sh!t. Herk Marines already do the no-joke support of the guys on the ground stuff.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shooting sh!t, and doing some no-joke support of guys on the ground versus dropping bombs from 25K-30K feet.

The standard Marine Infantry man is better and more often supported by the bomb from 25-30K and C-130s tanking supports that quite well.
No intended slight of the AC-130s but how often if at all are they firing in direct support of a Marine Infantry Battalion-they hang out with the Nomex Ninjas mostly (it does happen but not that often). A couple of exchange tours wont change that role at all.