• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

C-130-2 pilots?

Lawman

None
Yeah...the air force ops are easier.

I once met a USAF C-130 nav major. He didn't think it was as funny as I did when I told him "We call them Lance Corporals".

Im gonna have to keep that one in mind for my one friend that just selected NAV from ROTC for the Air Force.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
Sextants are used to determine latitude. Useful when flying over the ocean and all your fancy equipment goes to sh!t.

You can get more than just lattitude. You can get a nice fix with 3 maybe 4 lines of postion plus a pressure line depending on what is available in the sky at the time.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can get more than just lattitude. You can get a nice fix with 3 maybe 4 lines of postion plus a pressure line depending on what is available in the sky at the time.

You can also do a heading check......I did for two dets.........:D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1_1.jpg

Of course, this device's true function is a black shoe polish applicator for the NAV's eye. :D

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course, this device's true function is a black shoe polish applicator for the NAV's eye. :D

Brett

They tried that with me, but that was the day the guy who was instructing me wanted to try out a heading check first......too bad.........:D

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I hated that damn thing but it saved my bacon a couple of times back in the pre-gps, pre-reliable inertial, no omega and shitty loran days of my first P-3 deployment.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I hated that damn thing but it saved my bacon a couple of times back in the pre-gps, pre-reliable inertial, no omega and shitty loran days of my first P-3 deployment.

I heard from a friend in API that the P-3 is slated to get ADF. Finally NDB approaches are now available. I also heard RNAV is coming by 2015.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I heard from a friend in API that the P-3 is slated to get ADF. Finally NDB approaches are now available. I also heard RNAV is coming by 2015.
I hope this is a sarcastic comment.....

And yes, I did walk 5 miles to (Nav) school uphill through the snow.....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

As I recall, the only use I ever got out of the ADF receiver was to tune in WOKV so I could listen to Limbaugh (et al) during that 5 hour afternoon bounce session. :D

Brett

Tom

pilot
Contributor
The main use I get out of the ADF is to count landings. Sometimes I can get a combo of numbers that just makes the bearing pointer spin like crazy.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot

Brett

Just be careful, you may get your boom mic put into places that may not be too pleasant. That first ICM check may hit you kinda hard. :D

KC130FE

Livin' the Life!
Just be careful, you may get your boom mic put into places that may not be too pleasant. That first ICM check may hit you kinda hard. :D

What's worse is when there is photographic evidence of boom mike "placement" made available after the fact. :D