• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bypass the recruiter because of medical question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Is there any way I can go over the head of my local enlisted recruiters, and talk directly with someone from MEPS or some other medical entity? The local recruiters 1) dont seem eager to talk to anyone looking to pursue a commission; and 2) are even less eager to help when you have a medical question, and they dont know the answer. They tell me that the only way to find out is to go down to MEPS for the physical... They tell me that I cant even find out if its waiverable until I get to MEPS. It seems to me that someone should at least know if its waiverable or not.

Am I being unreasonable in my expectations of the recruiter? Or are the recruiters I'm dealing with slacking off? Any help is appreciated. :D

One thing you CAN do for yourself is to look up the regs.

If you have a medical question, I assume you've got a medical CONDITION to go along with it. If it's something iffy, it can be found in the medical regs.

Naval Aero Medical Institute is probably what you're interested in if you're on this site right? The regs there can usually tell you whether or not you can get a waiver.

Grant

vegita1220 said:
One thing you CAN do for yourself is to look up the regs.

If you have a medical question, I assume you've got a medical CONDITION to go along with it. If it's something iffy, it can be found in the medical regs.

Naval Aero Medical Institute is probably what you're interested in if you're on this site right? The regs there can usually tell you whether or not you can get a waiver.

Oh trust me, I've searched high and low for info on the matter. I found that site long ago, but it hasnt been much help. My question is about a particular condition, for which I have had corrective surgery (gastrointestinal area). My biggest question is for initial entrance and commissioning. Finding info for entrance, with this situation, has been nearly impossible. At this point, Aeromedical info isnt much of a factor. If I cant fly, I'll deal with that. I want to serve in any capacity that the Navy or Marine Corps will allow me. I just need to find out if "they" want me at all. :confused:

Basically, I'm looking for the job title of the person I need to be dealing with. That way, I can go to the recruiter and can suggest, "This is who you need to get in contact with." :(

SFgirl

I'm dealing now with a gastrointestinal issue that just popped up in the last three weeks and is most likely gonna NPQ me. Great timing since I had already been selected (for USMC), but I guess I'd rather have it happen now than at OCS. What I do know is if you have IBD (Ulcerative Colitis or Crohns Disease), those are NOT waiverable. Even IBS is only waiverable in the absence of actual control by medication and if it can be proven it is NOT stress related. Hope this helps.

Grant

SFgirl:

Well, I *had* Ulcerative Colitis, but underwent a restorative proctocolectomy to correct it. I'm hoping that to either enlist, or go PLC while I'm finishing college... if I can get a waiver. Since I'm no longer on any medications, and otherwise functioning normally, one can be granted. But I havent been able to get straight answers from anyone regarding if there is any precendent for them to follow, or if I'm just SOL. :( The most frustrating thing about the whole situation is that when I told the recruiter about it, he got this blank look on his face. It was very obvious that he hadnt a clue what I was talking about. I'm sure he's more accustomed to talking about ashma or drug waivers and common stuff like that, not something like this.

Best of luck to you with your gastrointestinal problem. I went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN for the surgery, as their gastro dept. is ranked #1 in the world and their surgeons are amazing. They were nothing but wonderful. I'd highly recommend Mayo, even if its only for consultation, not surgery. :D

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Grant said:
Is there any way I can go over the head of my local enlisted recruiters, and talk directly with someone from MEPS or some other medical entity? The local recruiters 1) dont seem eager to talk to anyone looking to pursue a commission; and 2) are even less eager to help when you have a medical question, and they dont know the answer. They tell me that the only way to find out is to go down to MEPS for the physical... They tell me that I cant even find out if its waiverable until I get to MEPS. It seems to me that someone should at least know if its waiverable or not.

Am I being unreasonable in my expectations of the recruiter? Or are the recruiters I'm dealing with slacking off? Any help is appreciated. :D

Grant,

If I were in your position I would go here: http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/Qualifications/index.htm

Take a look at the phone numbers about half way down on the RH side of the page.

Post again when you get an answer.

Good Luck.

Grant

feddoc said:
Grant,

If I were in your position I would go here: http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/Qualifications/index.htm

Take a look at the phone numbers about half way down on the RH side of the page.

Post again when you get an answer.

Good Luck.

Thanks very much. I've seen the NAMI waiver guide before, but I guess I've missed those contact numbers. I'll get on that. Like I said, at this time I'm not interesting in the NAMI waivers per-se, but if they cant answer my question, maybe they'll be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

At the moment, all I care about is getting a waiver for initial entry, I'll worry about NAMI later, if its even a possibility. Doing something other than aviation isnt the end of the world. (GASP, did I say that on here? I'm gonna get flamed). :D

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Maybe I missed something, but why aren't you talking to an Officer recruiter? If you are in college or have a degree they should have referred you to Officer programs a long time ago.

I am the poster boy for getting a waiver. It is more possible than you think but you need a couple fo things.

1.) Persistence.

2.) A recruiter willing to make phone calls.

3.) All the documentation you have ever received.

I got a waiver for Migraine headaches after I get kicked out of aviation and the Navy; I got back in. You just need to keep pushing your question till you have talked to everybody you can.

Let me know who your recruiter is and I will try and talk to them.

Steve

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
SFGirl...are you going through the Oakland office? Just brings back nostalgia of when I came in and went through there.

Grant, make sure you're talking to an officer recruiter. I first went to the local Navy recruiting office in the city and the head guy there sent me off to see the officer recruiter in east bay. If you're not talking to an officer recruiter, don't waste any more of your time there. If you do, you're likely to end up chipping paint for a few years...the most educated guy in deck division is not a distinction you want. Trust me...there was a SN on my last ship who talked to the wrong recruiter, was sweet-talked into enlisting, and ended up being the only guy on the ship, let alone in deck, who had an EE degree from Clemson.

Grant

Road Program said:
...the most educated guy in deck division is not a distinction you want.

I'm guessing you mean that if I enlisted, I'd be the butt of alot of "college boy" type jokes and ribbing? :D

KBayDog

Road Program said:
there was a SN on my last ship who talked to the wrong recruiter, was sweet-talked into enlisting, and ended up being the only guy on the ship, let alone in deck, who had an EE degree from Clemson.

ASSuming that he didn't actually want to enlist, I wonder who/what this speaks the most poorly of: Him, or Clemson?

I think it speaks poorly of Clemson with all their Tony the Tiger paw prints. What's going on in Happy Valley, or whatever they call that hole in BFE?

Status
Not open for further replies.