• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Buying a car before moving to P'cola

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
USAA's auto loan APR, Navy Federal's APR, and some dealership APR's during their sales are lower than the starter loan's APR.

You'll have an address in FL in time to be able to register your vehicle. Do you expect to be homeless for more than the standard 2 weeks they give you to register your car?

Double_A

If you purchase the car after OCS, you just need to tell the dealer you want to register it in Florida. They will mail the title info to the Tax Collector in P'cola and give you the temporary info and bill of sale. They would probably even send a check to pay the taxes if you financed the car with them and needed it... probably not the best option.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Another thing to consider is that the car buying process can be lengthy depending on what your demands are for the vehicle and timing. Having bought a car recently myself, patience is the name of the game. Their job is to move cars, so the longer it sits on the lot the better you can bargain. You might have found a dealer during a good month for them so they aren't as willing to bargain, but then they call you in 5 weeks when sales cool off asking if you're still interested and suddenly meet the price you want. Or the car you really want isn't in stock and you might have to wait until they get one from another dealership. It will be a detriment to you to be bleeding money renting a car while seeking another, especially if you tell the dealership that you're doing this (don't). On the flip side, you could get lucky and find your dream car at a dealership that's willing to work with you right away. It is more likely that the process will take longer if you are going to buy used because the amount of vehicles with a particular set of options you desire is going to be fewer, but USAA's car buying service can make it go faster.

Be aware that many dealerships will offer some kind of military incentive, and assuming that your credit was good before your employment in the military will make you eligible for the lowest financing rates they offer.

USAA offers 1.9% apr, 1.49 if you use their car buying service, so there's your starting point to ask the dealership to beat that APR in financing. It's pretty neat, although it doesn't always list the option packages. You put in the car you want and participating dealers will offer their bottom line price with no haggling required on your part. For example, one of the cars I looked at was the Ford Fusion, and the average savings through USAA's car buying service was $3-5k off sticker price. However, I did discover that dealerships don't always have the exact car that you listed in USAA's car buying service, but they will call you just to get you into the dealership. You hand them the piece of paper USAA generates and then they respond with "oh, we don't have that" but they did offer the same bottom-line price on a similarly equipped car. That was pretty frustrating to me considering the participating dealerships were 1/2-1 hour away, so when they call you just tell them over the phone what you are looking for and what concessions, if any, you're willing to make before you trek to the dealership.

Navy Fed offers similar car loan APRs if you have a checking account with them.

Your best bet, if you can swing it, is to buy a cheap used car until you get the car you want, then sell the beater at little or no loss to you.

VTAMT8

One thing that hasn't been explicitly mentioned is that if you buy your vehicle in another state and subsequently attempt to register your vehicle in FL within 6 months of the purchase, there is a law that requires you to pay the difference in sales tax between the state you bought it in and FL. This resulted in a bit of "sticker shock" when I attempted to register my truck in FL and was told it would be $2000+ (VA's vehicle sales tax being less than FL's)...needless to say I didn't pay such a ridiculous fee. Something to consider given your situation, especially if you plan on using a vehicle registration as one of the "criteria" to establish FL state residency for income tax purposes.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Thread revive, do I need to re-register my vehicle every time I move? Purchased in NY two years ago, reported down to P'Cola for API, and I just got told I'm going to Corpus when I'm done in about two months. So basically I'll need to register my car and buy Florida insurance for like three months, and then re-register and re-insure in Texas? I'm missing something, aren't I?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thread revive, do I need to re-register my vehicle every time I move? Purchased in NY two years ago, reported down to P'Cola for API, and I just got told I'm going to Corpus when I'm done in about two months. So basically I'll need to register my car and buy Florida insurance for like three months, and then re-register and re-insure in Texas? I'm missing something, aren't I?

Yeah that is not needed. All of my cars have been registered in the great state of OR since day one of my career. Have lived in FL, TX, MS, CA and VA and have never had a problem. You DO need to update your address when you move with your car insurance provider, but I have forgotten to do that before and it was never a big deal with USAA. Just keep your car registered in one place (probably your state of residence) and you don't have to go through the pain.

Halfpint

AEPnot2B
My husband (USAF AD) has MT as his home of record. He bought a car in CA at his first duty station and just registered it there because of the insane CA tax laws and such. When he PCSed to OH a year later, he registered his car in MT. He kept his MT driver's license from the get go. It might depend on the state, but I see a ton of out of state license plates on base. I do know someone from SD who did get her OH driver's license when she was stationed here (not sure why), but still kept SD as her home of record. Sorry if this isn't helpful, but I just wanted to give an example of keeping everything with your home state. I would send you to JAG to ask, but when I went to them regarding our stupid complicated residency issues for filing taxes the first time, I gave up and just did them on my own.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Sweet, I'll probably keep it registered in FL then, no annual inspections required. Thanks to you both

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sweet, I'll probably keep it registered in FL then, no annual inspections required. Thanks to you both

One of the single-biggest reasons to keep it registered there (since they did away with emissions checks many years ago). FL is also very easy to work with for getting your FL registration mailed to you in another state. You can do everything online.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As a guy who comes from an emission check free state (at least 95% of it), I thought I had it made buying a car that would never in 100 years pass emissions. Then I got orders to socal and found out that my base, as well as most others, required emissions testing of all base registered vehicles. That and they were intense sticklers about it, to the point where I was dodging specific guards and taking out of the way gates for a while after my temporary passes had all expired. Yeah, the responsible life of a JO, I know :)