• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BusyBee Blogs

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mucho; Bagger

BzB,

I can't imagine 4K in model. Thanks for sharing the accomplishment and sticking with AW. Stay strong.

Out of curiosity, how did you do this? Was it Operational -> VT -> Operational -> Operational DH ?

Actually, never did VT, first 12 years went VF/VA-94-fleet; VA-55-fleet; VA-125- Lemoore RAG IP; VA-146-fleet (combat);VA-44-Cecil RAG IP...then ShipsCo USS MIDWAY WepsO DH(mostly C1-A COD time) & lotsa traps; COMLATWINGPAC Staff (lotsa A-4 time w/ VAs-127/55/164 & 212), screened for A-4 Command in '73, unfortunately the last 3 A-4 Sqdns were deployed & slated to decommission upon return, so decided to retire. Wasn't the ideal path to go for O-6, but it sure was more FUN flying! :icon_kiss

!. Much more flight time available in late '50s & '60s (fuel $.09-.11 p/g).
2. Lotsa X/Cs, SandeBlowers, Wpns, Inst. Trng, esp. in RAGs.
3. Baqging time weekends, test hops, volunteer for manned spares (esp. shipboard/night), airshows & other "specialty" hops.
4. Always be available, bad for marriage, good for flight time!
5. Got to fleet just prior to RAG establishment, so no RAG delays.

Hmmm...everything just seemed to fall in place, no regrets...What a RIDE for a HS Grad, thanks NAVCAD Program! :jester_12
BzB, aka "Sir LaunchAlot" :sleep_125

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BUFEs!

On Slugger's Blue Flight Bag, look carefully and you can see the "100 BUFE RUNS" patch on his left arm. Too cool!

MAX

By way of explanation, back in the day... BUFE (besides being a pet name for the B-52), was also a pet name for the beautiful porcelain Elephants (Big Ugly F'in Elephants) sold at Tan Son Nhut airport (Saigon) for $15-20 each. As C-1A COD Pilots, the ATO always had a long list of requests for us, from the troops, to pick up as many as the C-1 could carry or had room/weight allowance for...back to the ship every time we went to Saigon.:icon_smil

Actually, these were a tremendous bargain as the high-end Mail Order places & Dept. Stores in Conus had a price tag of approx. $600 a pair. But it was the most dangerous cargo we carried. There were several sizes of BUFE (they came in a wood slatted Box, about 2 ft. tall, weighing about 25-30# each). They had to be stacked neatly & precisely & VERY carfully strapped down (if one of those let loose on a trap, would very possibly taken the Plot or 2P's head off), so each inspected tie downs closely before takeoff back to the "Boat". Thus., the BUFE Centurion Patch denoting 100+ delivered to the Ship that cruise! Anyone else remember these from 1971/72 time frame! It was the last of the C-1 CODs as the C-2s were just coming back after a long fleet-wide grounding for (as I recall) severe propeller problems. :watching_
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, those Buffys (BUFEs)! How could I have forgotten? Those things were all over, everwhere!

Had a friend get bumped off a flight (not a COD) from Tan Son Nhut so some Army or Air Force general could get his huge number of BUFEs on the plane. My friend was livid!

If I never see another BUFE again, it will be too soon. :icon_rage

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Ah yes, South East Asian and Elephants. Must have sent home 100 packages of those critters; made from Rosewood or Ebony. Could never see buying the porcelain ones but do remember them. Sort of flat top, pseudo table top?

Elephants and the dart/blow guns made by the Moro's and sold-on base in Subic. Pretty fancy. Took boxes of dart guns back to Pearl and sold to natives as "da kine VC weapons, embellished as to how I got them". PT Barnum comes to mind.

I got stuck with several of the elephants, here is about half of the "collection' Big guy is about 20 inches, solid Rosewood.

elephant.jpg

Flugelman

Contributor
Oh, those Buffys (BUFEs)! How could I have forgotten? Those things were all over, everwhere!

Had a friend get bumped off a flight (not a COD) from Tan Son Nhut so some Army or Air Force general could get his huge number of BUFEs on the plane. My friend was livid!

If I never see another BUFE again, it will be too soon. :icon_rage

Not a BUFE but a hibachi. As I was checking into my first Navy squadron at Tachikawa (VR-7 Det A) there was an irate PO1 in the duty office. Turns out he was on his way home and had been bumped from a C-118 so some AF general's huge hibachi could be strapped in his seat. He was rightly somewhat pissed.:icon_rage

My daughter still has the two BUFEs I sent back in '71.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
My friend at work said they were flying a supply run from Tan Son Nhut and they picked up almost 250 BUFEs on the Super Connie, next thing you know #1 engine dies from bad oil or fuel (I can't remember it's his sea story) and the PIC says to start dumping BUFEs. Aircrew asks which ones? All of them, if we have to dump one we dump all! Replies the PIC.

I’d never heard the term BUFE till he told that story, by the way he was a electrician with the Q.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BUFE Patches...

Got 2 pics of the 100 mission BUFE & MIDWAY COD Squad patches on my Blue SH flight suit...on my cell phone, but don't know how to download to computer. If someone who could upload it to this thread, PM me your cell phone number & I'll send the two photos of the patches in a text (photo) message to be uploaded to this thread. Any takers? :blindfold
BzB :sleep_125:clover_12

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wood Carving...

Ah yes, South East Asian and Elephants. Must have sent home 100 packages of those critters; made from Rosewood or Ebony. Could never see buying the porcelain ones but do remember them. Sort of flat top, pseudo table top?

Elephants and the dart/blow guns made by the Moro's and sold-on base in Subic. Pretty fancy. Took boxes of dart guns back to Pearl and sold to natives as "da kine VC weapons, embellished as to how I got them". PT Barnum comes to mind.

I got stuck with several of the elephants, here is about half of the "collection' Big guy is about 20 inches, solid Rosewood.

elephant.jpg

Yeah Chief, those wooden elephants are beautiful. The Phillippine wood carvers work was fantastic. The huge Squadron Plaques they made ($20 ea.), with carved painted patch & each Officer's rank/nam & "nickname" carved & painted white w/ cruise dates carved in. I have 2 of them from the '66 & '67 cruises. The various Squadron plaques that were once on display in the famed Cubi "O"-Club long mahogany bar... are now on display along w/ the bar, at the NA Museum in Pensacola. Today, you can sit at the same bar, sip on a "paintrd label" San Magoo & just drift back in time to the crazy era of the Air War and R & R stops at Cubi. :icon_drin

I went back to P'Cola around '98 for the official A-4 Retirement Ceremonies held/headquartered at the MONA. What a bash that was, almost like a Tailhook Reunion. Until then, I had never realized how many former A-4 Squadron COs made Flag. Both my VA-146 Skippers from '66 & '67 made RADM & 1 VADM, the other CO was KIA the FIRST day up north. Dozens & dozens of Flag Officers, many of them former POWs, Wow, what leaders they were! It was a crazy time back then! :icon_kiss
BzB :sleep_125

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BUFE Mission Patch

Got 2 pics of the 100 mission BUFE & MIDWAY COD Squad patches on my Blue SH flight suit...on my cell phone, but don't know how to download to computer. If someone who could upload it to this thread, PM me your cell phone number & I'll send the two photos of the patches in a text (photo) message to be uploaded to this thread. Any takers? :blindfold
BzB :sleep_125:clover_12

Here's the official squad patches ...0403111352.jpg 0403111351.jpg