• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Bug" Roach - Living in the moment

Inspiration comes in so many different forms, but for those who knew CDR John "Bug" Roach, you are among the lucky ones. You were able to be inspired by one of our Navy's best. Saving lives was his specialty and his voice called you back on to the "big grey boat" at night when you just couldn't do it on your own. Bug left us too soon but check out this YouTube video of the man who was certainly "Larger Than Life".

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=NKC5QIiGmYM

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
OH! Thank you!
And thank you! Bug lives! I have never seen that vid. And oh, the stories I could tell... some of them maybe even true.
RIP, Bug. God bless. Save a place for me and all the rest of us rowdies...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
One of my all-time favorite NA vids...two legends I never got to meet getting it done.

Atlas in the seat and Bug on the platform- If you have a short attention span skip to "Paddles contact" at about 10:30.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I've heard numerous stories, but don't know for sure what the definitive one is. Best I know is that it was a main malfunction caused by some sort of HYD damage. The date was March 9th, which doesn't tend to support "battle damage" as it was right before the beginning of the withdrawal from Iraq. Some interesting facts you might have picked up on...pitching deck...check the plane guard lights in the PLAT background. 10kts stbd...ouch.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
I know it's mentioned in another thread somewhere on AW, but here at Air Warfare (N98) in the Pentagon our main conference room is named the "BUG Roach". Dedicated in 2010 I believe with a memorial plaque outside on the wall.

Joe Kaposi

1. I saw a commemorative plaque to 'Bug' Roach on Rangers LSO platform during her visit to Sydney Australia, her last foriegn port before decom. If i had'nt been on a private tour i never would've seen it.

CAMike

None
Contributor
John "BUG" was a true legend. I have his coin and learned of his performance. What a MAN!