• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brownwater/Riverine

tshort

I am putting in a package next month for SWO and am interested in getting into the the new brownwater riverine squadrons forming up. Does anyone know the best way to do this?

navy09

None
I heard from the JOs on my cruise that it's getting more and more difficult to get a 2nd tour Riverine job because of the increasing shortage of JOs in the SWO ranks.

Do you have any other gouge BigRed- I'm interested in the Riverine community as well.

BigRed389

None
I heard from the JOs on my cruise that it's getting more and more difficult to get a 2nd tour Riverine job because of the increasing shortage of JOs in the SWO ranks.

Bullshit...we have so many JOs, the subpar ones have jobs made up for them to do.

Do you have any other gouge BigRed- I'm interested in the Riverine community as well.

Disclaimer: My info is secondhand/based on observation only.

You need an EOOW letter to do anything out of the traditional SWO pipeline, and people will tell you you're killing your longterm SWO career.

The EOOW letter is difficult to get because it takes most people long enough to qualify SWO, and to make things tougher you need to get the EOOW letter before or be expected to get it by your command before you're up for new orders.

I've met a few guys who are in the RIVRONs...luck and timing had a lot to do with it.
In addition, they need to be decent swimmers and in good shape(good PRT scores). That alone could cut 50% of SWO JOs.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
The EOOW is the engineering officer of the watch qualification. They are going to have me start working on the qual soon.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
You don't select RIVRON until your 2nd Divo tour(2.5 years in) at the earliest.

I've heard the same thing from some higher-ups in the NECC chain of command. They said it was a second tour gig and while you may hinder your chances at commanding a destroyer, they're trying to make it work so that when the time comes you can be put in for selection as a RIVRON CO.

BigRed389

None
I've heard the same thing from some higher-ups in the NECC chain of command. They said it was a second tour gig and while you may hinder your chances at commanding a destroyer, they're trying to make it work so that when the time comes you can be put in for selection as a RIVRON CO.

OK, but there are three RIVRONs in the entire Navy...

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Why is it a "career killer?" Aren't you the skipper of one of the ships as an LT? You'd think that type of billet would be great for advancement, plus the chances of the RIVRON boats firing some weapons... seems like a great place to hone some leadership while young(ish?) in the career.

navy09

None
^^ Are you thinking of PC command? It's a 1st tour DH gig- not the same thing as RIVRON divo tour.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The SWO community traditionally doesn't care for anything outside of the "Big Gray Underway" CRUDES pipeline, career-wise, and RIVRON's never really going to be a big enough community to make it a mainstream SWO job. It's going to fall into the same category as ACUs - "cool, but not career enhancing".

I kinda doubt that the officers are actually driving the boats, Apocalypse Now-style; I say this under correction, but I'd imagine that would be the jealously guarded preserve of the squadron Craftmasters, and maybe they'll let LTJG Bob come along once in a while..but don't touch anything, sir.

PCs were on the ragged edge of respectability when I was a Shoe, but that was (1) seven years ago, and (2) when they were part of SpecWar, not the regular Surface Navy like now. Never hurts to be in command, unless you fuck it away, but PCs are still "oddball" boats and always seemed to be broke down.