• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brother's wedding

MidWestEwo

None
I was recently pro-rec'd for NFO and I am assuming I will be going to OCS closer to October or November. My brother is getting married next summer/fall and I am his best man. What is the possibility of coming up from Florida for a few days before his wedding to participate in everything that a best man should? Is leave easy to get for things like that?

JonDW7

Honestly, there is no way to tell. One of my friends that was going to be in my wedding could not get his leave approved to come home for it. Granted, he was not my brother.

With this being said, I do have two friends who have been in weddings in the past month. The first friend got leave for Wednesday-Sunday to fly home for the wedding. The second friend, who was the best man, only got Friday-Sunday. There is really no way to tell this early. The training schedule will really dictate how long you get off.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Dude, in flight school if it's a big family event (wedding/death/etc), you WILL be able to get leave for it, barring the unforseen. For something like a wedding, just let your command know ASAP and you'll be fine, especially if they have plenty of notice. NOT an issue.

Now, getting leave for a friend's wedding? Maybe, maybe not.

MidWestEwo

None
Pill_Hacker said:
A word for the wise. I was a best man last summer. Make sure you see the strippers' faces before you cut the check.

Good advice. I was going to take him to Vegas.. but after seeing The Hangover, I thought twice about that. Unfortunately, he is a bit shy when it comes to strippers, so I think we are just going to get him hammered and force him on stage.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
I was recently pro-rec'd for NFO and I am assuming I will be going to OCS closer to October or November. My brother is getting married next summer/fall and I am his best man. What is the possibility of coming up from Florida for a few days before his wedding to participate in everything that a best man should? Is leave easy to get for things like that?

Are you allowed leave during OCS for a brother's wedding?

I was recently pro-rec'd for NFO and I am assuming I will be going to OCS closer to October or November.

Slow down for a second. The time between being pro-rec'd and actually heading to OCS can range from weeks to many many months. Once you get to Pensacola, your chances of taking leave depend mostly on how long the line is. If the wedding happens to occur during your time in A-pool, you can be the greatest best man ever. If it falls during the first four weeks of API, you'll likely have to miss the wedding entirely. Once you have an official start date for OCS, you can get a better idea of your timeline. Until then, you may want to tell your brother to have a Plan B.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Slow down for a second. The time between being pro-rec'd and actually heading to OCS can range from weeks to many many months. Once you get to Pensacola, your chances of taking leave depend mostly on how long the line is. If the wedding happens to occur during your time in A-pool, you can be the greatest best man ever. If it falls during the first four weeks of API, you'll likely have to miss the wedding entirely. Once you have an official start date for OCS, you can get a better idea of your timeline. Until then, you may want to tell your brother to have a Plan B.

You're missing the point. With something as big as a sibling's wedding (which is known well in advance), once you make it out of OCS, you can COORDINATE this type of thing with flight management (if in API) or with your squadron (if in primary). If you give them plenty of notice they can work it out. If it means delaying your class up at API, they can work it. If it means taking a few days of leave in primary, then they can work it.

If you drop it on them a week or two prior, then no.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
If it falls during the first four weeks of API, you'll likely have to miss the wedding entirely.

False. Don't dash the man's hopes and dreams.

I went to a friend's wedding after my 2nd week in API. The current API director is a great officer. He made it clear that he was giving me enough rope to hang myself with, and that if I failed my Aero 2 test after spending a weekend in Boston I'd have no ground to stand on.

Things may change, but I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Alright, fair enough. I guess I should have said that I wouldn't be brave enough to take off that much time during API academics. I took off a day the weekend before Aero 2 because my dad was in town, and my score suffered. I wouldn't want to give up an entire weekend plus all the time before that's required to fulfill the duties of being a best man.

My main point was that this guy cannot say for certain when he's even going to OCS, how long he will be there, or how long he'll spend in A-pool, thus what part of training he will be in at the time of the wedding. And I know I can't say anything about what his chances are of taking leave during Primary, haven't gotten that far yet.

If the timing is right, you'll have no problem being your brother's best man. If it's not, you may have to make some compromises.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Alright, fair enough. I guess I should have said that I wouldn't be brave enough to take off that much time during API academics. I took off a day the weekend before Aero 2 because my dad was in town, and my score suffered. I wouldn't want to give up an entire weekend plus all the time before that's required to fulfill the duties of being a best man.

My main point was that this guy cannot say for certain when he's even going to OCS, how long he will be there, or how long he'll spend in A-pool, thus what part of training he will be in at the time of the wedding. And I know I can't say anything about what his chances are of taking leave during Primary, haven't gotten that far yet.

If the timing is right, you'll have no problem being your brother's best man. If it's not, you may have to make some compromises.

I think that's a big hint right there. No offense, but to some degree, it's the blind leading the blind.

Based on his timeline, he is likely going to be flying before the wedding, in which case you have no frame of reference and it shouldn't be an issue for him.

If it falls during API, then he can either opt to delay classing up until after the wedding or take leave for the weekend (YES they will allow it for something like a family wedding, but they will let you hang yourself).

And tricky.. you "took a day off" .... on the weekend? That's not really taking a day off. Those days are already days off. Are you telling me you study 7 days a week?

If so, you need to go find the nearest beer and start un-stress-bucket-ing yourself. :D

Cheers.