• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

British Royal Marine KIA saving reporter

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Eh, this isn't a beauty contest. What makes you think you are any different?
Good thing it's not about 'beauty' ... cause I'd win & you would lose.

But what makes me think I'm different ??? Different from you, in this case ??? :)

'Cause here's where my head is at: I'm a US military man ... a red-blooded Mom, Chevrolet, & apple pie kinda' guy ... always have been, always will be -- and I know in my heart and in my head what that means to be an American fighting man ... I don't try to go lukewarm w/ any and all of my viewpoints, so as to appear 'enlightened and tolerant and above it all' ...

I know the bottom line, I've lived it, and I know the score. That's why you and I are different.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good thing it's not about 'beauty' ... cause I'd win & you would lose.

But what makes me think I'm different ??? Different from you, in this case ??? :)

'Cause here's where my head is at: I'm a US military man ... a red-blooded Mom, Chevrolet, & apple pie kinda' guy ... always have been, always will be -- and I know in my heart and in my head what that means to be an American fighting man ... I don't try to go lukewarm w/ any and all of my viewpoints, so as to appear 'enlightened and tolerant and above it all' ...

I know the bottom line, I've lived it, and I know the score. That's why you and I are different.

I could really give a shit what kind of car you drive, what you eat or if you are the best looking old fart in all of Oak Harbor, it doesn't quite mean you are a better person or 'fighting man' than me. Narcassistic, boorish, obnoxious or just plain asshole, maybe. But who am I to judge, just from a few of your internet postings and rantings? Bolded and emphasized for MAXIMUM effect of course.

So why don't you ease those tired old bones into your Hoveround, enjoy a few Shirley Temple's after hitting the early-bird special at Sizzler and pass out while watching the sunset. You can rest easy knowing that guys like me, who are still serving, are keeping your two Dads, tofu, Volvos and this country safe from the evildoers of the world. You know us non-gender specific, CBT-trained, EEO-approved, mildly passive-aggressive servicemembers.......weekend warriors included. Have a nice day :D!

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^Early Bird special is normally at Shoney's or Denny's.....
but I think Frank's place has the best breakfast in OH!:icon_wink

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
^Early Bird special is normally at Shoney's or Denny's.....
but I think Frank's place has the best breakfast in OH!:icon_wink

Franks huh? I don't remember seeing that in the food thread, I'll have to give it a gander.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Let these asshats (I don't like most reporters. Can you tell?) go over there by themselves and let them provide for their own defense. Our men have a tough enough time worrying about protecting each other while slinging lead downrange---why should they be morally obligated to protect journalists on top of that?

The Royal Marine did a very noble thing, but had these journalists not been there to get the "scoop" his family wouldn't be grieving right now.

Hell, we don't throw bunker gear and a pack on the local newsrag reporter and bring him into a burning commercial structure with us. Why should we be bringing reporters into combat?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor

jtmedli

pilot
Let these asshats go over there by themselves and let them provide for their own defense. Our men have a tough enough time worrying about protecting each other while slinging lead downrange---why should they be morally obligated to protect journalists on top of that?

The Royal Marine did a very noble thing, but had these journalists not been there to get the "scoop" his family wouldn't be grieving right now.

Hell, we don't throw bunker gear and a pack on the local newsrag reporter and bring him into a burning commercial structure with us. Why should we be bringing reporters into combat?

Dang skippy....let's make the reporters go through some form of Boot Camp/Training if they wanna be attached to a platoon. If you're going into a warzone then you should capable of defending yourself at least, if not those around you, as well as making competent decisions in combat that wont endanger people around them.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Dang skippy....let's make the reporters go through some form of Boot Camp/Training if they wanna be attached to a platoon. If you're going into a warzone then you should capable of defending yourself at least, if not those around you, as well as making competent decisions in combat that wont endanger people around them.

If by defending yourself you mean checking them out to carry a weapon I'm damn sure that's a very bad idea. No way in hell I'd want anyone like that behind me during a firefight with a loaded weapon in their hands.

Requiring them to meet a certain physical standard and teaching them the difference between cover and concealment etc is a very good idea. Maybe teaching them where the safety and trigger is on an A4 would be ok but not much more.

jtmedli

pilot
If by defending yourself you mean checking them out to carry a weapon I'm damn sure that's a very bad idea. No way in hell I'd want anyone like that behind me during a firefight with a loaded weapon in their hands.

Requiring them to meet a certain physical standard and teaching them the difference between cover and concealment etc is a very good idea. Maybe teaching them where the safety and trigger is on an A4 would be ok but not much more.

I was just referring to the second part. No way in hell I'd want Geraldo packing heat behind me. Requiring them to be able to handle themselves competently in combat and be able to keep up with the rest of 'us' without getting someone killed.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
By "provide for their own defense" I meant having a group of their own Blackwater guys (or similar). Let them figure it out.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Ernie Pyle

There used to be good reporters in the world...you know, a few who actually gave a shit about the troops they were covering and not their next headline. The kind that would actually sleep next to the soldiers in a trench, every night, and would be respected and even loved by the men they covered in battle.

These men, one in particular, would even die along side their fellow Americans and be buried right beside them...

Funny how these kind of reporters are now legends...

Ernie%20Pyle%20Death%20Photo.jpg

MrSaturn

Contributor
The press largely tells the public the who, what, where and why we are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. Who else are we to rely on, the politicians and military PAO's?

Why not?

They are much less biased than a reporter who is selling a product to a target audience.

Photography is becoming more and more common with the increase in technology. What is the benefit of allowing trained photographers to run around a battlefield when most soldiers and even many Afghans in remote areas carry some form of camera?

http://www.dvidshub.net/ is a site that actively helps the News by providing free imagery, video, stories and facts. I would think a "GOOD" journalist could quite easily come up with a very compelling story discussing specific regions based on stories, photos graphs and receiving clarification from PAOs.

Or... we could get rid of PAOs and just take reporters with us where ever we go.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Provide timely and accurate imagery to sell the U.S. Navy story.

I think FOX/CNN/AL JAZEERA all are trying to make the biggest profit.

You can't honestly believe that. Everyone has an agenda - especially Big Navy. I'm not a proponent of tabloid news, but there's more to journalism than CNN and FOX. If you think CHINFO is a good substitute for a free press, then say hello to Stalin and Goebbles for me when you see them at the office.

Brett