• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bringing a motorcycle to Japan

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I am told that it doesn't work like BAH. You only get whatever your rent is, up to the max. No pocketing the rest, so you might as well live in a place that costs the full amount. You can, however, keep whatever you don't spend of the utilities allowance which I believe is about $900.

MasterBates

How critical this is depends on how the next round of court goes. I'm just hoping to have the court shenanigans wrapped up before I leave the RAG.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
How critical this is depends on how the next round of court goes. I'm just hoping to have the court shenanigans wrapped up before I leave the RAG.

COLA and OHA rates. For OHA, the housing allowance is based on your rent. Additionally there is a utility allowance that is in addition to that and you can make some money here. The current utility allowance is about $700 for a single O-3. As long as you don't live in a huge place and run the AC/heat 24 hours a day, you will never approach this. So figure about $1200 a month or so for COLA and plus the $700 and is you should be pocketing enough money. Both of these numbers change constantly based on the exchange rate.

MasterBates

Am I understanding it right where the MIHA is sort of like DLA, and a 1 time thing to pay deposits, get utils turned on, etc?

ghost

pilot
I am not sure what that is supposed to cover and when they pay it. When you rent a place in Japan, you need to pay four months rent up front. The rent, a fee the land lord, a fee to the agent that you used and a security deposit. When you first move in, the government will give you enough money for three of these. You have to pay the deposit, but you should get it back when you move out. It is fun when you pay all of these since nobody takes checks there and you need to get around 5 thousand dollars cash from the bank.

But you will be eating ramen ... It's a real meal there (and good).

MasterBates

Okay, so I'll need ~$5k to get a place smaller than the Puma, but I'll only need to pay $1250ish of it? The govt' pays me the rest?

ghost

pilot
You can still get DLA when you move there too. Just don't stay in the BOQ too long. I don't remember if I got the MIHA or not. The first paycheck after moving out in town was 5 or 6 thousand more than normal and I woud not have noticed 500 or 600.

ghost

pilot
The housing allowance will give you enough for a 3 or 4 bedroom house if you want that. A one or two bedroom apartment should be easy to get. You should have the money for the deposit, but you can take advanced pay (repay over 12 months) if you need that to cover the deposit. But for rough numbers, 1200 out of pocket sounds about right.

MasterBates

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I would not need to be showing up with $5-6k cash on hand or be stuck in the Q.

Now if I can just convince the other 3 guys in my class that "you don't want Japan"... :D