• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bringing a motorcycle to Japan

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Anyone have any experience with the Sportie? I've heard of a number of them with worked over motors producing 80, 90, and some north of 100hp.

Rode an 883 Sportster that was punched out to 1200, so it had the big Sporty power in a four hundred and whatever pound frame. Yawn. It was a good bike, but the power wasn't anything to get excited over.

But this is coming from a guy who rides a geared and piped CBR1000RR so the 'one man's shit is another man's treasure' principle applies.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
When I lived in Europe, I had a US number on Skype. I even got to pick the area code so it was a local call for my family. It costs $2.95/month and includes almost unlimited* outgoing and incoming calls to/from US cell phones and landlines. Or you could go with the $12.95/month "world" plan and communicate with anyone in any country out of the 40 covered by the plan (including Japan). There's even voicemail, and you get an email when someone leaves you a message. Call quality is fantastic as long as your internet connection is good. It was awesome, I recommend it.

*Skype advertises it as unlimited, but there's a fair usage policy. You get a ridiculous amount of minutes that I would imagine it would be very difficult to go over. I don't remember exactly how many. You'd have to read all the details.

Oh and I almost forgot- in case you don't feel like sitting in front of your computer to talk, they make handsets that connect to the computer. I think they make a cell phone too, but they didn't make one for France when I was there. Don't know about Japan.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Rode an 883 Sportster that was punched out to 1200, so it had the big Sporty power in a four hundred and whatever pound frame. Yawn. It was a good bike, but the power wasn't anything to get excited over.

But this is coming from a guy who rides a geared and piped CBR1000RR so the 'one man's shit is another man's treasure' principle applies.

Maybe I'm not following you right, but do you mean that way the principle applies here is that your shit was your treasure? Something about that sounds funny... ok back to my hole. I know nothing about bikes w/ gas tanks.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
When I lived in Europe, I had a US number on Skype. I even got to pick the area code so it was a local call for my family. It costs $2.95/month and includes almost unlimited* outgoing and incoming calls to/from US cell phones and landlines. Or you could go with the $12.95/month "world" plan and communicate with anyone in any country out of the 40 covered by the plan (including Japan). There's even voicemail, and you get an email when someone leaves you a message. Call quality is fantastic as long as your internet connection is good. It was awesome, I recommend it.

*Skype advertises it as unlimited, but there's a fair usage policy. You get a ridiculous amount of minutes that I would imagine it would be very difficult to go over. I don't remember exactly how many. You'd have to read all the details.

Oh and I almost forgot- in case you don't feel like sitting in front of your computer to talk, they make handsets that connect to the computer. I think they make a cell phone too, but they didn't make one for France when I was there. Don't know about Japan.

Warning about Skype. If your husband happens to be talking to his old OIC in Germany and you are roaming around the house naked, not aware that there is webcam action going on, Skype is not always your friend, though the OIC might really like it and request that you throw on a pair of stilletos.

Um... or so I've heard.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
Hahaha ya, well with regular skype that's a risk lol. With this though, there's no camera involved. So it's safe for nudity. And stilettos.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Harumph!!

1380.jpg

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
It wasn't recording and since I am sure a re-enactment wouldn't count as proof ;), I can't help with pics.

But if anyone knows Cmndr "Chubby" in Germany, I sure he would confirm.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
It wasn't recording and since I am sure a re-enactment wouldn't count as proof ;), I can't help with pics.

But if anyone knows Cmndr "Chubby" in Germany, I sure he would confirm.

Was the CDR's callsign Chubby before or after the webcam incident?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot

I've got an 1198 in the stable, so I wouldn't be using the Sportster to get my kicks. I'm just accustom to having a decent amount of power available at my right hand and I wouldn't want that to change too much.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I've got an 1198 in the stable, so I wouldn't be using the Sportster to get my kicks. I'm just accustom to having a decent amount of power available at my right hand and I wouldn't want that to change too much.

The only HD that I would consider as having "serious nuts" would be the V-Rod. It has a much more refined mill (designed by Porsche) than the Sportster.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I don't want to jack this thread, but have a question for the Japan guys or guys that have knowledges on this stuff...

What are the financial advantages/disadvantages to being stationed in Japan? Do they give you some sort of 'moving out of the country' bonus? I'm assuming your income is tax free over there.. Just curious about big picture how it has worked out for you financially.

Seems like an expensive proposition if you're paying for local storage in the states and buying new sh*t when you get there.

Interested in being stationed in Japan. Please impart your educationalities on me.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I don't want to jack this thread, but have a question for the Japan guys or guys that have knowledges on this stuff...

What are the financial advantages/disadvantages to being stationed in Japan? Do they give you some sort of 'moving out of the country' bonus? I'm assuming your income is tax free over there.. Just curious about big picture how it has worked out for you financially.

Seems like an expensive proposition if you're paying for local storage in the states and buying new sh*t when you get there.

Interested in being stationed in Japan. Please impart your educationalities on me.

I'm still mostly in the reseach stage, but I'll take a stab at it.

First, you don't have to pay for storage. They Navy takes care of that for you, up to a certain weight. You are given a total weight allowance and that is divided between storage, your big move, and your express move.

Also, they give you COLA-Cost of Living Allowance. I am told that you can do very well for yourself and bank a good deal of money during yout tour, especially if you are single.