• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bringing a motorcycle to Japan

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Just a quick (not really) question for those who have been to Japan/OCONUS before. My motorcycle finally showed up, about a 1.5 months late (and no customs form to boot) and now I'm trying to get it registered. There's some good gouge online (yes I did a search, so skip showing me the first 1000 google answers) for bikes over 250cc. Mines under, so I thankfully don't have to go through the hassle of an emissions and brake test in Tokyo.

Basic idea is: Get it registered on base, get it insured, get it registered out in town...

Checked with TMO, they said I can't get it registered out in town until it's been registered on base, call PMO. PMO said I can't register it on base until I have secondary insurance, call insurance company. The insurance company won't let me get secondary insurance until it's registered out in town, call TMO. Catch-22.

Other issues no one seems to know squat about is the fact that this showed up without a customs form. TMO is scratching their head and doesn't seem to have a clue about it, although I know it's a requirement to have it registered. (supposedly a Form 380E will solve my problems, but I've never seen it yet.)

Also, it took so freakin long to get here that now my stateside registration is about to expire... which might not mean anything, but soon I'll have an unregistered, uninsured motorcycle, that never passed customs in a foreign country... I see lots of red tape in my future.

Brunes

pilot
I don't know jack that will help you- but good luck. I'd have some serious withdrawal shakes if I'd been without my motorcycle that long.

Hope it works out for you!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is this a street bike? Under 250cc? WTF? Have you been to the indian food place yet?

Brett

BurghGuy

yeah... it's 249cc. It still looks cool, sounds cool, cost 1/8 of a Harley, and gets 90 MPG.

Also, I think you mean Ganesh (sp?). Definitely good shit. The Chicken Shack is good stuff even though it is a bit of a drive.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
yeah... it's 249cc. It still looks cool, sounds cool, cost 1/8 of a Harley, and gets 90 MPG.

Also, I think you mean Ganesh (sp?). Definitely good shit. The Chicken Shack is good stuff even though it is a bit of a drive.

Yeah, Ganesh is actually some of the best Indian food I've ever had.

Brett

BurghGuy

Yamaha Virago 250. They recently rebadged it as the VStar 250 though. It's like a slightly more badass looking Honda Rebel only with a v-twin and single-pin crankshaft for that old school "unbalanced" sound (which also helps give it some extra torque for a 250). It's a 250cc bike cleverly disguised as a midsize cruiser (500-750cc).

07virago_blkcherry.jpg
motolib-info-0.jpg

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
As long as you ride, that is all that matters.

Its probably about the same size as my Savage. 650cc of single cylinder fury.

:icon_tong

n5205683_43458216_8890.jpg

Truth be told, I've been considering a HD Sportster to compliment my ZX-6R and getting rid of the Savage as its just too underpowered. Anyone have any experience with the Sportie? I've heard of a number of them with worked over motors producing 80, 90, and some north of 100hp. Sounds like fun to me. :icon_zbee

I was thinking of maybe doing it up in a sort of fighter style, something akin to this...

bike_complete_001.jpg

And maybe throw some 240 rubber on the rear while I'm at it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My first street bike was a Virago 700, have an 1100 V-Star now. Love Yamaha bikes - except changing the oil filter is a huge PITA on the V-Star and it needs a 6th gear for the HWY - other than that, they rule.

Brett

Renegade One

None
I guess inquiring minds want to know why you didn't wait and BUY your Japanese bike in Japan. Does the exchange rate smack you down, or then it wouldn't be "US legal" or some such Catch-22? Just wondering...saw an awful lot of guys buy their bikes while stationed over there...

k_smittay

Nice bike, good luck on getting it registered. Lucky for me I don't live anywhere near a base, and never go to a base so I don't have to deal with base stickers and that non-sense.

BurghGuy

I guess inquiring minds want to know why you didn't wait and BUY your Japanese bike in Japan. Does the exchange rate smack you down, or then it wouldn't be "US legal" or some such Catch-22? Just wondering...saw an awful lot of guys buy their bikes while stationed over there...

Bought it a few years before I found out I was moving here. Was originally going to store it or sell it, but was told by several people that 250cc bikes and below are easy to bring due to relaxed registration/inspection laws. HA!

Update: Turns out it really isn't that difficult. Biggest problem is that Iwakuni is just an obscure little base in Japan, and no one here has apparently ever gone through the process. A few quick phone calls to contacts at other Japan bases cleared it all up.

If anyone cares, all I needed was the customs form from TMO to get insurance, insurance to get temp registration, which allows me to take it off base and get plates from a dealership. I should be riding again by next week. Would be earlier but the holiday and work gets in the way.

MasterBates

Kind of a thread resurrection, but after seeing the ass-jumping a fellow RAG student (I guess he's now a RAG-Gradgigate) is going through with his less than a week from getting orders to leaving for Japan move, I was wondering how this works with a greater than 250cc motorcycle.

I want to go to Japan after the RAG, so I'm basically trying to plan for it "just in case".

My basic plan depending on time was-
Either drive truck/puma up to NH and have parents sell them, or fly them down to pick up if short on time.
Take dirtbike/tools/guns/other things I don't trust govt to store to parent's farm and leave them there for when I get back.

That leaves me with basically clothes and my motorcycle, plus work gear/TV/Xbox and such.

1- My bike is a 03 Triumph Bonneville, 790cc, I own it outright, no loan. I would like to take it, but if it would be easier/cheaper to buy something in Japan once I get there, its paid for, so it can sit in the barn for 3 years. Would you guys recommend taking it and dealing with red tape coming and going, or just get something there? No bike not really option.

2-As far as regions with TVs and XBoxes and such, will my TV and other electronics work there if I get the voltage adapters?

3-I would plan on getting Vonage or similar service and bringing it with me for having a US phone number for family to call.

Anything else that would be good to think about while I am in the 2 months out from knowing where I will go, but if I do go it will be short notice situation?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I want to go to Japan after the RAG, so I'm basically trying to plan for it "just in case".

...That leaves me with basically clothes and my motorcycle, plus work gear/TV/Xbox and such.

1- Bike...

2-Gizmos...

My knowledge is secondhand, but my best friend was out at Misawa for a few years and then-girlfriend was at Yokosuka. Their advice was along the lines of "bring nothing but clothes, toothbrush and whatever books you can't live without". You're mercifully free of camp followers, so since you can, I'd say avoid the total heartburn of HHG move, trying to get electronics to work, customs, blah blah. Travel light, find what you need once you arrive, leave it behind when you're done.

Definitely get enough movies so that you need never watch AFN. Fuck AFN in its stupid ass.

Same with the bike. There's got to be guys who bought one for the stay and will pass it on cheap. A US, Brit or German bike will cost you through the nose, but hey - you're in the land of the native rice-burner.