• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BRAC Dates

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
Jaxs170 said:
Vance isin't going anywhere, especially because it's too windy.

Columbus AFB in Mississippi and Altus AFB in OK are going to be the AETC training base victims in this round of BRAC.

Look for Sheppard AFB (or possibly Holloman) to be realigned to make up for the loss of Columbus.

My bf was talking about the possibility of the base where he is being closed too. Wright-Patterson AFB. I don't know though he mentioned it a couple of months ago and hasn't said anything else since.

It doesn't matter too much to us though we're just the mere USMC that rents space from the mighty AF. :D They'd just have to find somewhere else to rent space.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
HOORAH said:
My bf was talking about the possibility of the base where he is being closed too. Wright-Patterson AFB. I don't know though he mentioned it a couple of months ago and hasn't said anything else since.

It doesn't matter too much to us though we're just the mere USMC that rents space from the mighty AF. :D They'd just have to find somewhere else to rent space.

Air Force Institute of Technology is there... that'd be a little hard to pick up and move. My roommate from last year is currently getting his masters there.

HOORAH

Well that's cool. Just makes life easier to not have to move the office.

Funnily enough I just heard a news commercial about this (I'm in Pittsburgh so they're talking about here) but I quote

"Local military bases closing? We get answers from Donald Rumsfeld himself. Tonight at 6"

HOORAH

Rumsfeld to list bases targeted for closing Friday

Rumsfeld to list bases targeted for closing
Defense chief says savings will be $48 billion over 20 years
Friday, May 13, 2005 Posted: 7:41 AM EDT (1141 GMT)

Rumsfeld says the Defense Department stands ready to assist communities affected by base closings.
Image:

BRAC Timeline
• By May 16, 2005 -- Rumsfeld gives Pentagon's recommendations to the base closings commission.
• By September 8, 2005 -- After holding public hearings, visiting bases, collecting data and possibly making changes, the commission gives its report of recommended base closures to President Bush.
• By September 23, 2005 -- The president will accept or reject the list in its entirety.
• 45 days later -- Congress has that amount of time to reject the recommendations in their entirety or they become binding.
Source: U.S. Dept. of Defense and The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is scheduled Friday to unveil the Pentagon's list of recommended military base closures -- moves that he says will save the U.S. military nearly $50 billion over two decades.

The defense secretary will present the recommended list of installations to be closed to lawmakers and the Base Realignment and Closure Commission.

Rumsfeld kept a tight lid Thursday on details of the much-anticipated list but said it would contain fewer names than expected since additional space will be needed to house U.S. troops now deployed overseas.

(Full story)
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/13/base.closings/index.html

HOORAH

My bf just said he heard on the radio that Our base(Wright Patterson AFB) is staying here, pittsburgh airbase is getting shut down.....Willow Grove gone to...I don't know about nation wide though. I think they only said our local bases in the news report.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
bastards closing NAS Atlanta

may you burn for that

and Ellsworth, didn't see that coming

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Physicx said:
Miramar made it.But where are they going to move all of the subs since there closing the base in Conn?

One possibility could be Norfolk.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Woohoo! Ingletucky is going to die! My ship went there once...it's like going through the Suez, but without the view. For those of you that have gone through the Suez, you know that isn't saying much.

As far as subs, I'd guess that they'd go to Norfolk. If I really wanted to make a wild guess, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple shift to Hawaii.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
theblakeness said:
It looks to me like the list has changed quite a bit since the "preliminary" one posted months ago.

Cause that "preliminary" one wasn't based on anything but what BRAC commissions have done before and rumors. Like I said, if it isn't official, it's crap (in this case).

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
I saw the hole as passgaula is on the list. I assume most of the ships will move to Norfolk. But they are keeping meridian unfortunately. But Corpus is going to be hit hard because they are drawing down from NAS Corpus Also. Mostly I agree with the list. But now the politics start.