• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bottom Line On Christmas Break at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpack

I did a search and didn't get confirmation on what you should do over Christmas Leave. Take the entire time or come back early to scrub/paint or whatever due to fear of paying back leave time out of your paycheck. Is it true that you get paid leave so when they take it out of your paycheck you still bring home what you would if you were in an OCS class that didn't go over the holidays? Therefore you come out even.

So, stay home the for the full Holiday Leave or does anyone actually come back early? Can someone give me the bottom line?

Thanks.

ET1.Colon

Leave is leave. You will get payed the same time, and same amount regardless of leave. With that said, remember that you earn 30 days of leave a year, or 2.5 days per month, and you can have up to 60 days on the books by the end of a fiscal year. You don't want to go negative because then you can't go on leave. I personally would recommend forgoing christmas leave while at OCS and save your leave for after you graduate. Just my 2 cents.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Here's the thing, even if you wanted to not take leave, I don't think you have that option. You will come out even if you're in a class that doesn't have tha break. You get paid for 2 extra weeks, and before you leave, you pay that back. 14 weeks of pay - 2 weeks = 12 weeks.

The reason hanging around OCS isn't an option, is because the staff isn't there, so they're not going to really let you hang out in the barracks and eat in the officer candidate mess. If anyone has stayed at OCS during this 2 week break, fell free to correct me. If it's just speculation or "you think" please don't hand out bad gouge.

ET1.Colon

Thisguy said:
Here's the thing, even if you wanted to not take leave, I don't think you have that option. You will come out even if you're in a class that doesn't have tha break. You get paid for 2 extra weeks, and before you leave, you pay that back. 14 weeks of pay - 2 weeks = 12 weeks.

The reason hanging around OCS isn't an option, is because the staff isn't there, so they're not going to really let you hang out in the barracks and eat in the officer candidate mess. If anyone has stayed at OCS during this 2 week break, fell free to correct me. If it's just speculation or "you think" please don't hand out bad gouge.

I guess I misunderstood what he was asking. I thought he was asking whether or not you get paid during leave. My bust. I didn't mean to hand out bad info.

Wolfpack

From what I understand, you do not go into negative leave but they deduct from your paycheck the additional days that you take on top of the 7.5 that they give you for Christmas. Regardless of the numbers, I'm attempting to find out if I should come back or not. I don't want to be the only uninformed sucker that comes back and is miserable for 8 days if I don't have to. The $450 or whatever it is would be worth it to me as long as I don't hurt myself professionally or put myself in a hole as a newly commissioned officer. Assuming it is paid leave, then I would still come out making the same money as someone who started an OCS class in June.

Thanks.

Wolfpack

ThisGuy,

I think you and are thinking the same way. On the OCS website it sounds like you have the option to return or take the additional leave and return the day after New Years. It sounds like the smartest thing to do is just take the entire leave as there is no point in being there and it doesn't hurt you financially or leave time...unless you are just wanting to make the extra cash over the 12 weeks.

Thanks.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
ET1.Colon said:
I guess I misunderstood what he was asking. I thought he was asking whether or not you get paid during leave. My bust. I didn't mean to hand out bad info.

ET1, not calling you out. That was just a general disclaimer because there's so much "well, my friend's cousin's sister's husband's brother-in-law went through OCS..."

Again, if anyone else has spent X-mas break at OCS, I'd like to know what the heck you did with yourself. I graduated a week before the break, so the class behind us had to take the break, and come back for one week of candio. That was motivation enough for us not to roll as we got closer to our grad date.

SWOdogJon

Enlightened follower of the SWOness
We had a couple people in our class who stayed at OCS during Christmas break. I have no idea why....

Hudson

Most of my class took the whole leave period. We graduated with a negative leave balance. There used to be a policy that you couldn't graduate with a negative leave balance and you would have to repay the difference. As of last year that policy was no longer in effect. It might change this year though so who knows. I did know a couple of people who stayed. They had to move into the regimental building. There are staff members who do not go on leave so there are people there to keep an eye on things and oh ya give our details too.
Take the leave, it doesn't take that long to earn it back and some of my class mates still took an aditional week or two after they graduated to move stuff down to pensacola.

wilsonator

I was in the same boat at OCS, I took the whole period of leave, was negative and got it back in no time. If you have to take more leave like in between API and primary, I didn't notice it was a problem for anyone, the powers that be understand why you're in the hole. Also, you will always be given leave for an emergency, so guys that had family problems and stuff like that were allowed to go in the hole big time without any problems. You'll want to get out of there during Christmas and spend time with your family.

Wolfpack

I think I will plan on being gone for the entire break. Another question regarding leave has arisen from this forum though. I am slated for Supply. When I go from Pensacola to Athens, GA, will I have to take more leave or will they give you time to move? Same question for moving from Athen's to first duty station like San Diego.

Crowbar

None
Whenever you move to a new duty station, the government always gives you an ample amount of time to move that doesn't count as leave.

twoshots02

AMDO - 13 Nov OCS
Do we have to pay for and arrange air travel if we are going home for the break or is there a Navy express way to get there?

I am still trying to figure out how to deal with that much time off (not that I couldnt use it). Can't decide where to go since I have family all over.

Wolfpack

"Whenever you move to a new duty station, the government always gives you an ample amount of time to move that doesn't count as leave". Crowbar

Thanks. That is logical and makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.