• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boston Marathon Terrorists Engaged.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Then never…EVER…call 911. Hint: dialing that number puts you in contact with that hated/feared entity: The Police (and it an't the rock band…).

WTF?

Way to make your usual obtuse comments without actually watching the linked video and having a shred of context.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
rights were violated. If people were hauled out of their homes without consent because this guy was somewhere in a large area, then that's illegal. Not giving one's consent to a search is not probable cause to be searched. At this time, though, I'll give the police the benefit of the doubt.

You were saying?

Renegade One

None
Way to make your usual obtuse comments without actually watching the linked video and having a shred of context.
I now don't know who I hate more…MYSELF…for initially being "usually obtuse and lacking context"...or YOU…for making me waste nearly an hour of my life I'll never get back just for the sake of proving you wrong. FML.

After that WONDERFUL diversion….I stand by my original statement. If you fucking never want to ever talk to the police, never call 911…cuz you just made an appointment to do exactly that.

Truth in Advertising: I come from a proud LEO family.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Let's say locking down those city blocks is a violation of civil rights, what's the alternative? Would you rather he got away? I just don't see the concerted effort by the state to alienate our rights like you do. I see a bunch of guys putting their life on the line to protect their community and then getting shit on for how they do it...
The alternative is to catch him like they did every other criminal in the history of the U.S.

Let's be clear: I am not "shitting on" the police officers on the ground for doing their jobs. They did what they were told to do, and it involved placing their lives at risk. They deserve all the credit in the world for that. But those officers are not the ones who decided to lock down [the wrong] 20 block radius of Watertown, MA: the politicians did that.

I now don't know who I hate more…MYSELF…for initially being "usually obtuse and lacking context"...or YOU…for making me waste nearly an hour of my life I'll never get back just for the sake of proving you wrong. FML.

After that WONDERFUL diversion….I stand by my original statement. If you fucking never want to ever talk to the police, never call 911…cuz you just made an appointment to do exactly that.

Truth in Advertising: I come from a proud LEO family.
I, too, have family who serve as LEOs. They went into the job with the best intentions -- to protect and serve -- but my experience with police has yet to be positive.

There were the times in the 80s where my mom called them because her husband at the time was beating her. They told her to take a walk or drive.

There was the time when my car got broken into. I got an unsympathetic shrug and a piece of paper to give the insurance company.

There have been dozens of times I've watched an officer violate traffic laws because he can. The other week I got pulled over because a cop came up in my blind spot going 90ish in a 55, causing me to swerve back into my lane. He was in such an emergency that he could pull me over for almost cutting him off. But he had the 'decency' to let me off with 'just a warning.'

If the police think you are guilty, they will use every dirty trick they know to incriminate you, and bypass anything they can get away with. In their minds, you are guilty and they hate the bs 'red tape' they have to get through to prove it.

I have read countless stories of police arresting people for recording them in public. If I shouldn't have anything to hide by letting them in my house, why do they have anything to hide while doing their duty in public space?

There are the rare cases, such as this one, where police do a tough, necessary job to protect the public at large. But the majority of the time they are useless as tits on a bull, arresting people and writing tickets for petty crap that arguably shouldn't even be illegal to meet their quotas (again, not the officers' faults, but the politicians who govern them). The only purpose a beat cop serves is to provide a visible presence to make people feel like they are being protected; the probability a cop on the beat stops a crime in progress is extremely low.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.......The other week I got pulled over because a cop came up in my blind spot going 90ish in a 55, causing me to swerve back into my lane. He was in such an emergency that he could pull me over for almost cutting him off......If the police think you are guilty, they will use every dirty trick they know to incriminate you, and bypass anything they can get away with. In their minds, you are guilty and they hate the bs 'red tape' they have to get through to prove it........But the majority of the time they are useless as tits on a bull, arresting people and writing tickets for petty crap that arguably shouldn't even be illegal to meet their quotas (again, not the officers' faults, but the politicians who govern them). The only purpose a beat cop serves is to provide a visible presence to make people feel like they are being protected.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.......but most of the time folks are just plain paranoid. Or maybe a jackass in some cases.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Excellent video, Squeeze. I initially blanched at the length of the vid, but it was worth the time. Too many people think that rights are just for the guilty. I've seen military prosecutors totally jack people up, basically for fitrep bullets. It's got to be worse on the civ side.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.......but most of the time folks are just plain paranoid. Or maybe a jackass in some cases.
So which is it: did I not actually witness police clandestinely break the law they are sworn to uphold for no reason other than they can and did I not witness police fail to help when called upon? Or am I a jackass for not liking it and the fact that there is little anyone can do about it?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So which is it: did I not actually witness police clandestinely break the law they are sworn to uphold for no reason other than they can and did I not witness police fail to help when called upon? Or am I a jackass for not liking it and the fact that there is little anyone can do about it?

Did you actually read the crap you wrote?

If the police think you are guilty, they will use every dirty trick they know to incriminate you, and bypass anything they can get away with. In their minds, you are guilty and they hate the bs 'red tape' they have to get through to prove it........But the majority of the time they are useless as tits on a bull, arresting people and writing tickets for petty crap that arguably shouldn't even be illegal to meet their quotas.....The only purpose a beat cop serves is to provide a visible presence to make people feel like they are being protected.

I don't know if you actually believe the bullshit above but if you do it is a little bit paranoid. There are certainly cops out there that are assholes but the vast majority I have encountered, known and worked with are folks that are just trying to 'protect and serve' and not power mad jerks trying to make life difficult for the average citizen.

Your little rant reminds of the guys who talk about the only reason they got busted was because some cop/CO/Chief/LPO/'The Man' had it out for them. In many cases they did, because they broke the rules and/or law.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
The alternative is to catch him like they did every other criminal in the history of the U.S.
There were the times in the 80s where my mom called them because her husband at the time was beating her. They told her to take a walk or drive.

And in the 80s you could also get away with a warning if you were caught driving around shitfaced. In some places, the cops would follow you home. It was a different time.

There was the time when my car got broken into. I got an unsympathetic shrug and a piece of paper to give the insurance company.

What else do you want him to do? Call out the squad detectives to dust your car for prints and get the crime scene guys out to swab for DNA? It's a smash and grab. In most municipalities you could've saved him some time and filled out the paperwork yourself at your local precinct. Unsympathetic? What do you want, a hug? Call your insurance company and get on with your life.

I have read countless stories...

And I've read countless stories about military personnel all being blood thirsty war mongers. I guess that makes it fact?

There are the rare cases, such as this one, where police do a tough, necessary job to protect the public at large. But the majority of the time they are useless as tits on a bull, arresting people and writing tickets for petty crap that arguably shouldn't even be illegal to meet their quotas (again, not the officers' faults, but the politicians who govern them). The only purpose a beat cop serves is to provide a visible presence to make people feel like they are being protected; the probability a cop on the beat stops a crime in progress is extremely low.

You're talking straight out of your ass. A cop walking a foot post is also an excellent deterrent, and they make quite a few legit collars.

I've had a LOT of experiences with police officers, on both a professional and personal basis---probably hundreds more than you will ever have in your entire life, and over 98% of them have all been positive. I wonder if the problem is really the police, or if it's you?

Renegade One

None
I think I actually understand the point some were trying to make. If you find yourself suddenly feeling like a "suspect" or at least a "person of interest"…probably time to clam up and (maybe) lawyer up.

I may be wrong, but I think most of us most often interact with LEOs in very different contexts…where being calm, courteous and cooperative is usually the best COA. That's been my experience, anyway...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I think I actually understand the point some were trying to make. If you find yourself suddenly feeling like a "suspect" or at least a "person of interest"…probably time to clam up and (maybe) lawyer up.

I may be wrong, but I think most of us most often interact with LEOs in very different contexts…where being calm, courteous and cooperative is usually the best COA. That's been my experience, anyway...

99% of life's situations can be covered with keeping your mouth shut.

Theres always: "Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations."

SkywardET

Contrarian

Context is key. Those of you posting about "more experience with LEO than you" come from one perspective, and those presenting the dark side of LEO's come from another.

Personally, if only my perspective were considered, LEOs fall into only one category: almost useless. Can't catch the jackoff that did a hit & run on your car while leaving their front bumper as evidence, can't catch the robbers that broke into your mother's house and left fingerprints everywhere, can't find anything better to do than pull you over for no reason on a lazy Sunday and then lie to your face (and to the four others in your car) only to give you a warning, and etc. That's just my perspective, and I know it's not representative at all, but it's all I know first-hand about cops.

Intellectually, I know that it's extremely unlikely for cops to catch random small-time criminals and that only a few of them are likely to be the true thugs on the traffic cop beat like the ones I have encountered. I also understand that the mere presence of police serves the first order of force protection for society at large, and that any given beat cop probably prevents far more crime than is justified by his meagre salary. However, I also understand that their typical interaction with random people throughout the society is probably a hodge-podge of very positive interactions and very negative interactions, and therefore they must generally take a very critical eye on anyone they interact with, always probing for crime.

Those who interact with police far more than the average bear probably have a much better representative sample of LEOs than those of us who rarely interact with them. However, that doesn't mean there aren't huge, even systemic problems with police. Based solely on my own experience, I know to avoid certain small fiefdoms (call counties by the locals, but really run by the medieval lords calling themselves county judges) in some areas of Oklahoma due to the absurd corruption in the ranks of the local cops. Based on other anecdotes, I know to avoid whole areas of the country where the cops pose a significant threat to your person and/or property--like all of Delaware near I-95/I-295, and all westbound Interstates through Tennessee, and some others.