• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boq

Status
Not open for further replies.

lftmarine

I'll post a question more present/past TBS 2ndLt's can relate too, How are the BOQ rooms? What should you bring to make it paradise? How do phones work? Does everyone without a cell use payphone? Asking cause this 2ndLt will be there in Apr.

Semper Fi!

KBayDog

Rooms are crap. Nothing short of a bulldozer will make O'Bannon Hall paradise. Pick up the Feb copy of Marine Corps Gazette if you'd like to see the, er, "accomodations."

You can get phone service in the rooms. Cell phones are usually the order of the day, though.

peanut3479

pilot
The BOQ rooms are just like dorm rooms, only older and much more "utilitarian." Most people just use cell phones, however you'll need to get a land line if you want dial-up internet - I don't know about the new DSL setup or how much it costs.

As far as what to bring, think of what you would bring to a college dorm room, then use some discretion, then do a search for related threads - I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here about that a few months ago.

lftmarine

Are the BOQ rooms inspected during inspections? Trying to see if I'll be using my comfy store bought bed materials or the faithful green wool blankets.

KBayDog

Depends on the company, but most room inspections (usually Fridays) require "issued" linens, whether they be the green/grey wool blankets or the HoJo-style ones. Both are issued by the BOQ office.

You can usually get away with personal linens during the rest of the week.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
USMCLFT said:
I'll post a question more present/past TBS 2ndLt's can relate too, How are the BOQ rooms? What should you bring to make it paradise? How do phones work? Does everyone without a cell use payphone? Asking cause this 2ndLt will be there in Apr.

Semper Fi!
KBayDog said:
Rooms are crap. Nothing short of a bulldozer will make O'Bannon Hall paradise. Pick up the Feb copy of Marine Corps Gazette if you'd like to see the, er, "accomodations."

You can get phone service in the rooms. Cell phones are usually the order of the day, though.

from what i remember (6 years ago), TBS rooms sucked ... then, a few years later, as an F/A-18 pilot, i lived for 8 weeks during the winter in a non-heated A-frame metal hooch out at 29 Palms for a double CAX,,, then lived in a sub-freezing muddy tent in S Korea for 3 weeks, i thought back and said, "damn, how sweet would it be, as a fighter pilot, to live in anything that had a decent rack & a heater" .......... suck TBS up, it WILL get worse

(and i'm not b!tching, Lord knows i lived a lot worse when i was enlisted in the grunts)

Semper Fidelis

HueyCobra8151

pilot
USMCLFT said:
Are the BOQ rooms inspected during inspections? Trying to see if I'll be using my comfy store bought bed materials or the faithful green wool blankets.

Don't know if this applies. If you already know it, then nevermind.

Many people in the fleet simply make their racks, then crawl underneath the frame and use bootbands to keep the linen on tightly.

Then throw a sheet over the top of it, and use your own linen to sleep under. In the morning, toss everything in a wall-locker and voila, you always have a well-made rack and you can save "rack-making time" for sleeping. On field days just tighten it up a bit and make sure all the wrinkles are out.

If you don't have your own linen, you can do the same thing by shortsheeting your rack to free up an extra sheet, and procuring an extra green blanket from supply. (Shortsheeting also makes your linen look tighter at the foot of the rack)

//pardon the intrusion as I know nothing about TBS, just thought that might help some with your linen question. Again, if it doesn't apply, please disregard.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
You know I really think it just depends on the SPC/Co Staff. I've got the HoJo lenins on my rack and I just sleep under my poncho liner. But my roommate has a sleeping bag on his rack and has his own comforter and he has never gotten hit on it for an inspection. My thinking is, as long as your rack is made and isn't too eccentric, it's good to go. Like I said, though, it could be different with other companies.

KBayDog

jarhead said:
from what i remember (6 years ago), TBS rooms sucked ... then, a few years later, as an F/A-18 pilot, i lived for 8 weeks during the winter in a non-heated A-frame metal hooch out at 29 Palms for a double CAX,,, then lived in a sub-freezing muddy tent in S Korea for 3 weeks, i thought back and said, "damn, how sweet would it be, as a fighter pilot, to live in anything that had a decent rack & a heater" .......... suck TBS up, it WILL get worse

(and i'm not b!tching, Lord knows i lived a lot worse when i was enlisted in the grunts)

Semper Fidelis

No b!tching here, just telling it like it is. We used to joke about "polishing a turd" in boot camp when we had to field day the squad bays; O'Bannon is more like polishing the turd, the pipes, the sewer lines, and the sewage treatment facility all in one.

But jarhead, it MUST get better! :thumbdn_1

usmcecho4

pilot
I second the use of bootbands and shirts stays to keep your rack tight. I have made my rack once in the last three months. As far as civi sheets go we are required to put them away when we get up in the morning so our "rack displays" look good to go.

s/f,
usmcecho4

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
So do you guys know who gave Bravo Co. the reputation of pant shi$tters? And do you know the story behind it? Don't be mad at me, I'm just curious.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
So do you guys know who gave Bravo Co. the reputation of pant shi$tters? And do you know the story behind it? Don't be mad at me, I'm just curious.

Does this have something to do with someone having to make an emergency head call on the way back from Gettysburg? PM me if it does- I heard a pretty funny story about this, but I don't want to get my source for it in any trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.