• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOQ at Whiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

notyco

I know that you are suppose to live in the BOQ if you goto Whiting for primary. But I also have herd plenty of rumors that it is possible to get out of living in the BOQ. So can anybody shine some light of how to get out of living at the BOQ.

Thanks

slabicro

Helo wife
My understanding from those I know at whiting is if you live out of BOQ you just won't get BAH. WHo knows though. It's ALL about who you know and talk to and what kind of day they are having! good luck!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Verbatim from my PCS Orders to TRAWING 5 . . .

Member Advised: As a Student Naval Aviator or Student Naval Flight Officer with orders to the Pensacola area, you are required to live on board if permanent quarters are available for your initial training. Personnel assigned to NAS Pensacola may recieved [sic] a stamp that states "No Quarters Available." This, however, is not valid for NAS Whiting Field. If you have follow-on orders to NAS Whiting Field after Aviation Preflight Indoctrination you must live on board if quarters are available. Do not negotiate any long-term lease or bring large amounts of household goods. All flight students assigned to NAS Whiting Field are required to submit a special request chit for BAH. Personnel assigned to NAS Pensacola entering into leases should ensure landlords have a statement on the lease that would allow the tenant to be released if assigned to NAS Whiting Field. For further information, please contact the Navy Region Gulf Coast Bachelor Housing Center at Comm (850) 452-2755. . .​

Clear as mud? Basically it seems you have to have a special case to get BAH, otherwise welcome to the Q . . .

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
From experience less than 3 mos old:
If BOQ is at or above 90% occupancy, you may live out on town. If it is not, wait until it is, it will be soon as people check in every week, then request to leave. Simple as that. Adn you will get BAH if it is above 90% or if they approve your request to leave.

How does this affect Advanced students? Will I have to go live in the BOQ? I select in a week (ish), so anyone who is there knows the current status or gouge, please post!

ellsworb

Cool. . so here's the REAL question. . does anyone know if they require Air Force flight students to live in the BOQ's? Anyone that is there currently know of that situation, or can you get me in contact with a Current JSUPT pilot at Whiting from the Air Force?

ellsworb@gimail.af.mil

Brandon

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Same deal for advanced people (hence my experience 3 mos ago)... As far as AF having to live there, I am pretty sure they do not, did not see any in there and don't recall any of my AF buddies *****ing about the possibility of having to live there.

USMC-2-USN

primary...i hate FORMs
just a question...but what is the big disadvantage to living in BOQ? It seems like it is convenient because of proximity to where you muster in the morning and you don't have to worry about spending $ out of your pocket

unless you are living on the cheap out in town and pocketing money i see no advantage to living in an apt. unless you like to have wild keg parties with civilians

ellsworb

I like to have wild keg parties with civillians :icon_smil

In all honesty, I could make some money on that BAH if I lived off. We'll have to see though. I finally got an AF point of contact down at Pensacola that is supposed to help me out quite a bit.

Brandon

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Here is the reason why most people choose not to live in the Q. $$$. If this will be a PCS move (other than your fist one) you will get ~$1260 for DLA. BAH is ~$680 a month. I am in a 2 bedroom 2 bath brand new apartment for only $645/month. Got a roommate and you can see the financial adnvantage to living off base. For those who say, "But you have to commute to get to work." I reason that the 11mile to base is not inconvient at all, total time spent to and from work each day is less than 20 mins.

As far as problems with the Q itself.... 1) did not want all of my furniture to get moldy in non climate controlled storage (that is what the navy provides). 2) you can hear though the walls in the Q, IE if your neighbor is watching TV or studying with friends while you are trying to sleep, forget it. 3) I can leave work whenever I want, my home is not at work. 4) I had my own washer and dryer, Q does not have hook ups in the room, therfore back to the community laundry situation (it was bad enough in college) 5)Lastly the Q does not have an oven, just micorwave and 2 stove top burners. I like to cook, and not having an oven makes that a bit difficult.

USMC-2-USN

primary...i hate FORMs
thanks "bch" that makes a lot of sense and addresses things i hadn't thought about before. I am going to OCS on 10 July so hopefully by the time i check into whiting for API and primary the Q will be packed!

Status
Not open for further replies.