• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bombing Hitler's Dams

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/military/bombing-hitler-dams.html

I caught this show on the PBS program Nova recently, and highly recommend it. It tells the story of British aircraft designer and inventor Barnes Wallis, the bomb and associated aircraft equipment he designed, a British Lancaster squadron, and the plan to bomb three Nazi dams in Germany's Ruhr region. Using limited available historical information, a modern-day re-enactment is attempted, albeit on a smaller scale.

It's nearly two hours long, but worth it. It can be viewed online, or hopefully they will run it again.

leo20307

Rhinos
None
Dam Busters is a great movie...watching it with my dad was one of the first times I can remember as a little kid thinking "Flying looks really cool"

jmcquate

Contributor
Amaxing how they used angled spotlights to determine altiutde and wooden pegs for CCIP.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Video of the 65th anniversary flypast at the Derwent Dam (used by 617 Squadron to practice). Pretty low even for day VFR. Must have been fun at night.

I don't think they had radar altimeters for the night stuff either- for an accurate release and to keep from flying into the water! (The 1955 movie makes a big deal about a special system using a pair of spotlights to estimate height.)

I've seen a Lancaster flyby in real life and I remember it being a LOT louder; the sound in both videos doesn't really do it justice (maybe the camera did something with the engine and prop noise). Those airplanes are a sight to be seen and a sound to be heard.