• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Body Fat Waivers Scrapped

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
The Navy's Body Fat standard is nothing more than a scam to avoid paying pensions to people who are getting close to their 20 or 30 years in service or to reduce personel. It has nothing to do with your health, it is just for appearance. Look at some of the posts here. Some people are actually reducing their workouts because their muscle mass distorts their BMI score. This has been going on for years. We had a PO1 who was forced out because of BMI. Two months after he got out, he won a body building contest and qualified for the Mr. Universe competition.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Every month I retake the anti terrorism online course. I have never been the victim of a terrorist attack. Must have worked.
Glad to see you're onboard.

The Navy's Body Fat standard is nothing more than a scam to avoid paying pensions to people who are getting close to their 20 or 30 years in service or to reduce personel. It has nothing to do with your health, it is just for appearance. Look at some of the posts here. Some people are actually reducing their workouts because their muscle mass distorts their BMI score. This has been going on for years.

You're in the military and are expected to uphold a certain professional appearance, nothing new. And as for those people who are giving up the weights for running, I'd be willing to bet if they kept hitting the weight but added a little more cardio they wouldn't have any problems at all. Just because you lift every now and then doesn't mean your covered in lean muscle mass.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
And as for those people who are giving up the weights for running, I'd be willing to bet if they kept hitting the weight but added a little more cardio they wouldn't have any problems at all. Just because you lift every now and then doesn't mean your covered in lean muscle mass.

I would normally agree with you but I run 6/7 days a week for at least 3 miles a day. My body has always been more muscular and wide framed, even when I was a kid and didn't work out I was one of the strongest kids. Shitty/good genes I guess. It also doesnt help that I only have about 6 hours of class a week, the navy pays me so I don't have to work, and I have enough free time to hit the gym and run twice a day. Weights are my enemy right now, last year I had to drop everything but running, push-ups and sit-ups to make it so it's not like I shouldn't have expected it.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
I did have one of those double downs the other day though, maybe thats what got me....

and sorry to kill the mood but its not that good.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I would normally agree with you but I run 6/7 days a week for at least 3 miles a day. My body has always been more muscular and wide framed, even when I was a kid and didn't work out I was one of the strongest kids. Shitty/good genes I guess. It also doesnt help that I only have about 6 hours of class a week, the navy pays me so I don't have to work, and I have enough free time to hit the gym and run twice a day. Weights are my enemy right now, last year I had to drop everything but running, push-ups and sit-ups to make it so it's not like I shouldn't have expected it.

I'm much the same way, same build. I lift weights and pack on mass. I stop lifting weights, run and bike like a fiend and i drop back to very close/within standards. I don't care either way...i still fit in my uniforms and crush the PRT. Just a hassle to change habits.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If I remember the Marine regs properly, if you fail the weigh-in and the rope-and-choke, you then get a trip to medical for a real BF% check. That's the last reprieve of the bodybuilders. If the rope-and-choke the gold standard in the Navy, i.e. you fail that, you',re done?

If so, that's crap.

I usually don't buy the "big-boned" excuse. If you're naturally big, then you just have to slim down. If you're a weightlifter/bodybuilder, then I understand. I don't consider myself a bodybuilder, but I do lift a lot. for 6'2" my max weight is 214. I usually walk around at 218-220, but after a PFT, which is when a weigh-in usually happens I'm right on the line.

slug

WOW. Thanks for the advice. Man, next time I have a concern or question about something I'll give you a call. Maybe you could be my personal life coach or something.

Here's some Tony Robbins inspiration for ya: I remember Army football linemen dropping 50-80 lbs after the season to make Army weight standards. Rubber suits, stationary bikes and veggies for 5 months straight. If they can do it, anyone can.

BTW, I'm always right at my weight limit and plan work-outs to drop 10 lbs. before weigh-ins. It ain't easy bein' cheesy.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Here's some Tony Robbins inspiration for ya: I remember Army football linemen dropping 50-80 lbs after the season to make Army weight standards. Rubber suits, stationary bikes and veggies for 5 months straight. If they can do it, anyone can.

BTW, I'm always right at my weight limit and plan work-outs to drop 10 lbs. before weigh-ins. It ain't easy bein' cheesy.
Yeah that cool until you have a mishap. I'm sure dehydration, lowering you heart rate from all the cardio (G-tolerance), and eating nothing but veggies would be totally applicable to us.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I remember the Marine regs properly, if you fail the weigh-in and the rope-and-choke, you then get a trip to medical for a real BF% check. That's the last reprieve of the bodybuilders. If the rope-and-choke the gold standard in the Navy, i.e. you fail that, you',re done?

If so, that's crap.
What blows my mind is that, if that's the case, it means Navy medical is testing Marines for body fat, but not the Navy. Probably on the same bases/hospitals. Rationalize that.

Kycntryboy

pilot
I'm not a doctor (and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but based on what I've heard/read/experienced that isn't always true.

Which part? Cardio reduces your resting heart rate or lower heart rate reduces your G-tolerance?

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I'm not a doctor (and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but based on what I've heard/read/experienced that isn't always true.

At the centrifuge the dudes with high resting G-tolerance were "big-boned" with blood pressure most likely on the higher end of the spectrum, or they were really short.