• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Tail Single Engine

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Had three single engine landings in my first 80 hours at the F-14A RAG... thought it would guarantee me non Pratt and Whitney TF-30'ed F-14B's for my fleet squadron (GE-110 motors put out 10K more thrust and always worked). I thought 'they' were trying to kill me.
Re F-14A's TF-30s, I hear ya!!!!
But only 3 in 80 hours? :D

MasterBates

NP2000s have a "General Fault Light" that if it trips you could have anything from "hey, we had a power transient" to "If you try to do anything with this prop, it will do something evil" and you have no means of knowing what it means in the cockpit..

COD guys have some sort of indication in the cockpit what is wrong, and from what I was told today the CNS/ATM E-2Cs and the E-2D have some "intelligence" in it.

Straight up E-2C+/NU/HE2Ks just have a CHAN and EPC FAIL light.

And there is NO reason for this system to be electronic. None. Mechanical with electronically controlled synchrophasing. It's all it needed.

I can't really say more without delving into areas that start getting into SIR and HAZREP territory.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Gotcha. The more I hear about E-2/C-2s, the more they sound like the P-3. I assume your CNS/ATM is the same as ours, which is pretty Gucci (minus the heading drifts). How often do you have propeller problems and do you have any experience with the older models, or only NP2Ks?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I currently fly both the 4 & 8 Blade COD's. Love the 8 blade. I fly the 4 blade because I have to maintain proficiency... Of course, we have the CNS/ATM with the NP2K. Makes for a sweet ride.

I understand what MB doesn't like about the NP2K, but with those flaws, I still find it to be quite an improvement over the 4 blade. Of course, I've only been flying the NP2K since July. My squadron very much in the beginning stages of the transition don't have the experience that MB & his squadron have with it. It does have flaws, but I think it's still better.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Re F-14A's TF-30s, I hear ya!!!!
But only 3 in 80 hours? :D

Black cloud I guess, low pressure turbine came out the back end of airplane on rotation with 4 hours in the jet (first flight with a RIO), others were compressor stalls where TIT pegged, oil hot lights (leak) etc.... only 2 in the following 800 hours, one to the boat at night. Lovely motors, pratt and whitney owe me something.

MasterBates

Let me put it this way.. When the 8 blade WORKS it's fan-fucking-tastic. Shakes less, "easier" to work on provided the Mech's aren't chasing electronic gremlins, etc.. Only complaints with an "as advertised" system, is they lack the HUMMMMMMMMM that made the Hummer, well, the Hummer. I'd have to actually drive my happy ass into work and query OOMA, but the gripes per flight hour we have related to the 8 blade is something heinous. The E-2 has one of the worst man-hours to flight-hours ratio's I can remember, and that's giving an allowance for keeping all the wizard boxes in the back running. If we had CNS/ATM, it would probably eliminate about half of the coming back from FCF single engine I've experienced, because if it was a Code XX I could restart, and I'd only have to keep it off for Code YY and ZZ (not actual code numbers, but you get the idea)

I currently fly both the 4 & 8 Blade COD's. Love the 8 blade. I fly the 4 blade because I have to maintain proficiency... Of course, we have the CNS/ATM with the NP2K. Makes for a sweet ride.

I understand what MB doesn't like about the NP2K, but with those flaws, I still find it to be quite an improvement over the 4 blade. Of course, I've only been flying the NP2K since July. My squadron very much in the beginning stages of the transition don't have the experience that MB & his squadron have with it. It does have flaws, but I think it's still better.

Let me know the differences of 4 blade and 8 blade. Is maintaining proficiency is enough reason to fly 4 blades? I don't think so. Explain it to me further.

TexasZJ1

Had three single engine landings in my first 80 hours at the F-14A RAG... thought it would guarantee me non Pratt and Whitney TF-30'ed F-14B's for my fleet squadron (GE-110 motors put out 10K more thrust and always worked). I thought 'they' were trying to kill me.

Good work.

They were trying to kill you.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What MB said. When they work, the 8-blades are great. They do what they're supposed to do. But they are fickle, temperamental, untrustworthy beasts, and keep breaking in mysterious ways. At least when the 4-blades broke, they broke honestly.