• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels at San Francisco Fleet Week 2007

Nose

pilot
If you see pics of the E/F with stores, you'll see that the wing pylons are canted outboard about 4 degrees. Just little things that look like quirks that are built in to the designs for one reason or another.

IIRC, the outboard cant on the wing weps stations had to do with ...

phrogpilot73

If you're talking about the "cloud" forming in certain spots, it's due to the air flow going supersonic in that region, and forming a shock wave.
Could they go supersonic in tight space like that???
What huggy said. It's not that the aircraft is going supersonic, it's that one particular area of an aircraft is forcing the airflow to approach the speed of sound.

For what it's worth, the blade tips on helicopters approach the speed of sound...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The "creases" in the air are the shock wave as that part of the jet goes supersonic. It will move to the front of the jet as speed increases. It can be seen from inside the jet. Most noticable down low in humid environement. Parts of the jet over humps, blisters or bubbles on the airframe goes transonic before the whole jet breaks the number.

Nice pics.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
For what it's worth, the blade tips on helicopters approach the speed of sound...

So do the prop tips of the mighty P-3. But it's still not very cool.
But my IFT can cook a bitchin' burrito while I'm doing ASW, which is very cool.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Also, just in case it isn't obvious, the whole wing of modern aircraft are "twisted" so the outer portions of the wing have less angle of attack so they stall last and control surfaces (ailerons) retain some effect.

and
I can land anywhere I want and drop a deuce. That's pretty cool...

P-3's bring their own shitter. However, use at own risk:D

Flugelman

Contributor
So do the prop tips of the mighty P-3. But it's still not very cool.
But my IFT can cook a bitchin' burrito while I'm doing ASW, which is very cool.

If this IFT cooked it, it might not be edible, and you might be spending time on that shitter you talk about... :icon_tong We always had ordies and even a couple of AWs who were good at it and enjoyed it.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If this IFT cooked it, it might not be edible, and you might be spending time on that shitter you talk about... :icon_tong We always had ordies and even a couple of AWs who were good at it and enjoyed it.

It's all just "Pointy Nose Envy." :)

But we still love you P-3 guys...:D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here's another pic of Blue Angel #5 making the sneak pass at San Francisco. Incredible, it almost doesn't look real...

That's a sweet shot. I've never seen the transonic flow that clearly before. Usually there's vapes hanging off of it. That guy took an amazing photo.