• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels at San Francisco Fleet Week 2007

Recidivist

I don't think he went under the bridge, although the sneak caught me off guard, so I didn't see the whole approach. I also missed the photo op for this, but he was very low. Really cool show all together. Excellent day out in the city.

Oh, yeah: supervisor Daly is a total Douche. Glad that the show was not canceled.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
He is on the camera's side of the bridge for the entire pass. I would be extremely surprised if going under any bridge is allowed.
Brett
I looked at Google Earth and approximated where the jet was. (Note that the flight path line is 1.14NM) I agree it would not be smart to fly under the bridge given the political disdain for the Blues of certain SF liberals.

Attachments

• GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
    GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 157

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I looked at Google Earth and approximated where the jet was. (Note that the flight path line is 1.14NM) I agree it would not be smart to fly under the bridge given the political disdain for the Blues of certain SF liberals.

If you look at some of the other footage of the show, it's clear that the flightpath goes over the NE side of SF before going feet wet. All the formations, including Fat Albert, are flying the same line.

Brett

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
If you look at some of the other footage of the show, it's clear that the flightpath goes over the NE side of SF before going feet wet. All the formations, including Fat Albert, are flying the same line.

Brett
That YouTube footage is grainy.....It is like the Zapruder Film of Naval Aviation.....I would guess they made a high G pull to get established on the line? (I am not fam with SF)

fatathaland

He is on the camera's side of the bridge for the entire pass. I would be extremely surprised if going under any bridge is allowed.

Brett

At first it appears he went under the bridge, but I have to agree with this assessment that he is actually on the camera's side of the bridge.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That YouTube footage is grainy.....It is like the Zapruder Film of Naval Aviation.....I would guess they made a high G pull to get established on the line? (I am not fam with SF)

If you look closely, you can clearly see him flying in front of (to the east of) the southern -most part of the bridge (the SF side). There really shouldn't be any question in your mind. It would be very easy for him to fly a easterly offset without any maneuvering. You're probably over-thinking this one.

Brett

Lonestar155

is good to go
Going under the bridge ay??? Ive been attending Fleet Week since birth and I will tell you that the Blue Angels have NEVER gone under the bridge during the demo. You always hear parents telling there kids, "the plane went under the bridge," but it never happens. Do not get me wrong though, there have been quite a few instances where other non military aircraft have gone under the bridge. Larry Ellison (sp), CEO of Oracle, does it all the time in his personal helo.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Larry Ellison (sp), CEO of Oracle, does it all the time in his personal helo.

Which one could argue is technically in accordance w/ the FARs (kind of).

Recidivist

Yes, almost every east-west pass started with a descent over the southern end of the GG and continued east toward alcatraz. If you didn't follow the approach, it looked like they were coming in under the bridge from certain angles (like the one I was at), which is why they probably chose that approach, but they were not under the bridge. I still don't care, though, it was a really cool show.

On another note, who were the other jet demo team, and what were they flying?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
500 ft. separation? (or is it 300ft?)

500 ft from persons or objects, which I guess wouldn't work well even if they're above you, but also, flying 500' and below in Class B, C, D airspaces. I always liked that one ("...but skipper, I HAD to fly that low because the FARs and OPNAV told me so..."), but the two rules seemed to contradict. Honestly, I'd have to go digging to see if the 500' from objects rule applies to helos, as I can't remember.

Regardless, I said you could argue it, not necessarily win. Smiles, of course.

BeanFighter

pilot
I will give you $1000 if you can prove that Larry Ellison flys his personal helo under the Gate bridge all the time. Marines honor.