• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels at San Francisco Fleet Week 2007

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Blue Angles.. they're those Air Force pilots who fly F-19s, right?

Nope, they are the Navy Flight Demonstration Team in the world of "Dangerboy" who appeared in the cult hit "Brownshoes in Action" . You can browse the archive to find them and the History of Fighting 3.14 among other classics. If you never caught Dangerboy from 1987 on, then check it out and enjoy....

I was just kidding.. Remember when Fox News was covering the Blue Angels crash in South Carolina, they referred to the plane as an F-19?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those are awesome!

I'm going to be here reading those all day now...

If you know Ward, they are even funnier. I ended up rereading them all last night. He has a twisted, sardonic sense of humor that is JO focused. When I was editor, he sent me the first one that he had doen while bored on cruise and I told him I'd run it if he'd commit to a series and work themes that coincided with the magazine content. The admiral was skeptical, but he had charged me to revive the magazine so that JOs would pick it up in the Ready Room. My response was "Trust me, the JOs will love it!" and they did. Ward was already starting to work on Punk's War at the time and when it came time for me to roll back to the fleet, the admiral agreed to bring Ward on as my replacement setting him up to launch Punk's War with all the contacts he made. He's now editor of Military.com and pushing it to the limits and beyond (watch that space!)

Dangerboy, star of Brownshoes in Action
bsia.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, he was an instructor in VT-86 when I was there circa 88 worked in scheds a bit with him after I was winged waiting to go to Corry. Funny guy.

That would be him! We had to get a flag level waiver to take him from shore duty to shore duty with less than a year on staff, but skipper of VT-86 was "Wizard" Doyle (another great American) who I had been with in VF-102. He thought it was a great idea and personally flew to DC to make the case to give him up as much as he wanted to keep Ward at 86. He was thinking of benefit to Naval Aviation.

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
A follow up: SFO resolution to ground Blue Angels failed.

SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco Supervisor Chris Daly's hopes of halting the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels show from performing its aerial acrobatics over the city during Fleet Week crashed today when the board of supervisors failed the resolution.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_6996274

Thank goodness common sense prevailed!

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
Did anyone get a video of the Blue Angel solo when he kicked up the water behind his jet? That was probably the coolest part of the show. From where I was it looked like he actually flew under Golden Gate Bridge. Can anyone confirm this? If he did, I'm surprised it isn't on youtube yet.