• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blood pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmettoguy4519

I am healthy as an OX but my blood pressure is around 135-140, Don't know why its that high? I'm 21, i run and so forth. will this effect the application?
thanks!

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i'm not sure if it will affect your application but it wont affect your flying. i've just found out that my blood pressure is a bit high, i'm on medication but the flight doc has said that it wont affect my flight status. i may have to get a waiver for the medication though. so just a heads up, if they tell you you cant fly because you have high blood pressure isnt necessarily so.

JCurl

I had a problem with high blood pressure as well. Had to get it retaken to be considered for aviation. I changed my diet a little to get it back down.

cindy

More importantly, high blood pressure is called the silent killer because there are no symptoms. If your systolic pressure is 140 mm/hg, that is high and you need to get that down. Over the years it will ruin your heart. Diet, exercise and sheddng stress; then and only then, medication.

mom

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Whats weird is that my blood pressure went up AFTER i changed my diet and started PTing a bit more. I lost ten pounds then got my blood pressure checked and it was high. so i'm a bit confused about that but i do know that my genetics coupled with the stress of flight school and a family life probably have something to do with it.

cindy

Would recommend you purchase an aneroid type sphygmomanometer, about $50 or so in exchange,and keep close track of your BP. Check immediately after a 3 mile jog, late evening, early morning and just keep track.

Mom (again)

flyr534

Hell man, drink, dip, and smoke.... Gotta keep that pressure up. Guys with low blood pressure cant pull G's!!!!!!

Crowbar

None
"Systolic must be <140 and diastolic must be <90. There is no specific lower limit but member must have no evidence of orthostatic hypotension. Sitting blood pressures only required."

-Thus spake the NAMI website

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Maybe this is a no brainer, but it worked well for me. Keep very careful track of your daily salt intake, USDA recommends 2,000mg or less. If you eat fast food forget it, and watch the processed meals, even cereals can be high. I had a little notepad and kept track of my daily intake even on what I thought was a diet, and I was shocked, you very easily top 3 to 4 grand. Once I made sure to keep it to 2,000 or below my blood pressure went down. I am not a doctor so this is just advice etc etc.

Hudson

If you are nervous your bp will go up. Try to relax when it is being taken. Also you would be suprised the effect your arm position has on your bp. I had a corpman take mine. It was a little high. Elevating your arm a little will bring it way down. If you have time, next time you are getting it checked, ask see if they will let you put your arm straight up and see what it is... Just for fun of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.