• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blood pressure

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
Pomengranate juice huh? I need to look into that...

What's the cure for "white coat disease?" I've never liked doctor's offices and my BP and heart rate skyrocket as soon as I go near medical.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Pomengranate juice huh? I need to look into that...

What's the cure for "white coat disease?" I've never liked doctor's offices and my BP and heart rate skyrocket as soon as I go near medical.

lol Well there's treatment for WCD, but still there is no cure.

S.O.B.

pilot
It seems to me that we have a lot of young guys with high blood pressure. Like the rest of us here I'm no doctor but I would bet that some of you are just getting anxious about the results (white coat syndrome). I would think the number of males under 30 who are physically active and not over weight with high bp has to be low.

This happens to me with my hart rate. If I check it randomly myself it's in the low 60s but when I go to medical it's in the mid to upper 80s.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
About pomegranate juice. To get the full value from it you should seek one that doesn't have any sweeteners added aka sugar-added. In my opinion the 100% pom juice is terrible tasting. But having some is better than having none.

However, if you buy the ACTUAL pomegranate and take out all the little seedlings on the inside(these are what you eat) it's pretty tasty. I don't eat the outside though. Just the little pit things on the inside.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I would bet that some of you are just getting anxious about the results (white coat syndrome)

That's a pretty accurate statement. I took Chantix for a little bit and that did some wacky stuff with the BP temporarily. My understanding is that the top number can change pretty dramatically in a short amount of time, and it's the bottom number that's important. Avoid stimulants before getting it taken, sit and relax for a few minutes and you should see some good changes.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Well you know what they say about blood pressure...one glass day is good for your heart...

98060_39.jpg

Python

pilot
Contributor
For those who are concerned about their blood pressure, I've discovered something interesting.

THIS IS ONLY FOR LOWER READINGS, NOT HEALTHIER BLOOD PRESSURE.

If you are borderline say around 135/85, and are afraid that at a physical you may be nervous and have that spike about 140/90 due to white coat syndrome I found something that may help.

At least for me, the more reclined I am, the more my readings decrease. If you were to slouch a little during your physical, it may offset the white coat syndrome and keep your BP in a safe range.

You may want to have that tested for yourself, but it is very interesting.

As I posted before, in addition to lifestyle modifications, Pomegranate juice, aspirin, and reduced sodium actually will make your BP healthier, so always attempt that. Slouching will just give you a lower reading.

BigRed389

None
For those who are concerned about their blood pressure, I've discovered something interesting.

THIS IS ONLY FOR LOWER READINGS, NOT HEALTHIER BLOOD PRESSURE.

If you are borderline say around 135/85, and are afraid that at a physical you may be nervous and have that spike about 140/90 due to white coat syndrome I found something that may help.

At least for me, the more reclined I am, the more my readings decrease. If you were to slouch a little during your physical, it may offset the white coat syndrome and keep your BP in a safe range.

You may want to have that tested for yourself, but it is very interesting.

As I posted before, in addition to lifestyle modifications, Pomegranate juice, aspirin, and reduced sodium actually will make your BP healthier, so always attempt that. Slouching will just give you a lower reading.

I've found being massively sleep deprived beyond all caring to fix my white coat more than anything else.

P3 F0

None
My regular BP seems to be around that 135/85 range. I just had my annual a few months ago, and decided to test my earlier gouge in this thread. I guzzled a ton of water the morning of my physical and like magic, it was 120/80 (and I really thought it was going to be spiked, 'cause the f*cking NAF Andrews clinic screwed up about every possible thing before I got my vitals checked, and I was pretty torqued by that point).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My regular BP seems to be around that 135/85 range. I just had my annual a few months ago, and decided to test my earlier gouge in this thread. I guzzled a ton of water the morning of my physical and like magic, it was 120/80 (and I really thought it was going to be spiked, 'cause the f*cking NAF Andrews clinic screwed up about every possible thing before I got my vitals checked, and I was pretty torqued by that point).

The Q is easily angered!

P3 F0

None
Yeah, it never fails to get to me when I show up for a scheduled flt phys and they've lost my medical file. Then I wait 45 minutes for the lab, with no one in front of me... it was a bad morning. But generally speaking, I'm extremely laid back.

Posting from downtown Moscow, btw. This is a pretty good gig.

cricket_cricket

Knew a guy in OCS that almost NPQ'd for high BP. They made him wear a monitor for a few days and found out that his BP only went up while he was at medical!

They ended up giving him a waiver in 2006, he's continued on through training and he gets winged in a couple weeks.

navrn

Hellooooo nurse!
WCS can definately drive your BP up. We're not that scary are we? :icon_rage

Try taking some deep breaths in the chair, relax, and don't cross your legs (sounds strange, but it does affect BP). Is the HM using a machine or manual cuff? When I went for my annual the machine pegged me in the 140s, by manual cuff, it's in the 120's. You have a right to ask for the manual method. The machines are not always calibrated right, and can be oversensitive.

As for the rest, there's some pretty good advice here. Diet and exercise are the two major factors that can manage BP. Cut out the fastfood after a day of flying, and get some activity in.

Oh, and you could always take the standard "ice and stretch it" ;)