• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blood Pressure

Pags

N/A
pilot
I know of several aviators who get "white coat hypertension", myself included. I've used the breathing techniques used above, and that helped. I've had friends who have gotten take home EKGs like feddoc described so they could do it at home under less stressful conditions. i know my BP is normal, because when I can feel myself getting tense at the Doc's, but if i get it done by the dentist, when i'm not a little nervous, it's always really low. just make sure you're not drinking coffee or drinking a lot the night before. i also know of a guy who's on BP medication because everytime he went to see the flight doc, he'd get hammered drunk the night before.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Well, enough advice already, but my situation was very similar. Each time I would get dragged of the the sawbones my BP was 140/85 (avg). At home it was always normal. I had always been very careful to avoid exertion immediately prior BP test, once told the Doc what I was doing, he thumped me on the head, made me run up and down five flights of stairs, back in the chair with a HR of 105 or so (my normal HR is low 50's)and BP was 110/70 (or so). I am now on the plus side of 70yo and still same thing. my BP is 120/60 but a cute nurse with a stethescope in her hand does strange things!:icon_tong . But, as my golfing parters like to say, I am still pushing down the grass rather than pushing it up!

My advice: Invest in a good sphygmomanometer. Take and record measurements daily, prior to exercise and immediately after. Log it, graph it. Show results to doctor. Learn to relax. I practice tensing each muscle in your body, starting from my toes upward, then in sequence relax the muscles from toes up. I have found it a great way to relieve any time of stress. Including road rage, hahaha:icon_wink

Above all, get to the bottom of it. High BP is a killer, a silent killer.

BigRed389

None
Well I tried a combination of the above suggestions.

After a week of frustratingly ridiculous readings of 150+, I took the weekend off, figuring a few days destressing about bp would counteract "living healthy."

Had the first few beers in a DAMN long time, stuffed myself full of the first red meat I've had in a month, enjoyed a snow day, and took 3 days off of PT.

Day of, I popped some relaxing tunes in the ipod, regulated breathing while in the waiting room with the result:
131/81

Just one more good one to go.

donnyglaze

I know this is a little off topic, but is there a floor for blood pressure limit? Mine is usually around 110/50. I guess i could fudge it by running to the doc if it is too low.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I know this is a little off topic, but is there a floor for blood pressure limit? Mine is usually around 110/50. I guess i could fudge it by running to the doc if it is too low.

All that it says on the NOMI website is that its under 140/90