• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blisters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citizen

I'm curious as to what the Marines here have to say on this topic - I've heard many times to leave them, drain them, patch them, whatever. What I do know is that I'll be pretty pissed off if my feet are what ruins my summer.

What would you reccomend for:

Brands/types of socks? Boots to train with?
walking/hiking/running techniques?
care for feet and blisters?

thanks gentlemen!

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
I find that Thorlo hiking socks are pretty good. You may want to try them. Moleskin is what is typically used for preventative maintenance, so put that on what ever area(s) you are likely to get blisters. I've been told with blisters, that you shouldn't mess with them, just keep them clean. Maybe someone else has some better advice. Do whatever you can to toughen your feet up, so they will be a little more resistant to blisters. Good luck.

dvl_dog_2531

Use a bunch of foot powder on a bare foot. Next put on your black issue dress socks. Splash a bit more foot powder over the sock. Then put on a pair of cushion sole socks over the dress socks.

The black socks will act as a second, more slippery skin (preventing blisters) while the wool socks will give you some cushion.

kimphil

I hear women's pantyhose are good to wear to prevent blisters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

goirish10

This is what I use for blister prevention. I take Gold Bond foot powder and put it all over my feet...this helps to dry your feet..then put on a white sock then your black socks. Black socks have dye in them so if you do get blisters it could lead to an infection, plus the white scoks will give more protection to your feet.

hope it helps

java

I haven't been to OCS but I have been a seasonal mountaineering instructor for the last 4 years: NEVER wear cotton socks, Smart Wools are the best socks I've ever used (they're expensive, but worth it), gold bond powder is a good idea like the above have said, and duct-tape is a great blister prevention product. Put it on your feet where ever you might get blisters. It acts as a second skin and takes the friction that normally causes blisters. I worked with a guy who would cover the bottom of his feet and totally wrap his big toes everymorning before putting on his socks. I put it on the back of my heels. You do have to be careful, it can dry your feet up it you leave it on too long ( a few days or so). Besides, it's a proven wart killer: added benefit.

If you get one, drain it (don't peel it though), cut a "doughnut" of moleskin to go around it and cover it with duct tape. Eventually that soft skin will harden like a calus.

A roll of duct tape too bulky to carry around. Re-roll it onto a broken pencil or pen or even itself, stick a couple of "patches" into your pocket, share with your friends and watch the smiles appear.

Thorough enough?

HueyHornet75

pilot
Fox teflon socks work AWESOME. never had a blister at OCS. it's funny,but the blisters come at TBS during the 20 miler. vaseline between the toes, and medical tape on the balls of your feet might help.

O-man

I'm with Boomer and dvldog- But remeber that blisters are just gonna happen sooner or later. Troop welfare comes After misson accomplishment- so its not somthing your gonna be paying all that much mind to. Changing socks also helps- like every three hours or so. the big thing for me is that I know where I get them- (behind the ball of my foot) and so I can take preventitive measures and put mole skin on Before- and then I am much better off the whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.