• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blast from the past - finally commissioned at 40

Yankee Uniform Tango
Not sure if anyone here remembers me anymore - I used to be pretty active on this forum back b/w 2008-2012. Long story short, despite my best efforts back then, I was never able to make it to USMC OCS and become a Naval Aviator. I was was accepted once (OCC-201 in May 2009), but was disenrolled before attending due to not having an approved NAMI flight physical. By the time it was approved, the OCS boards became insanely competitive and I was never accepted again. I kept applying every 3 months for an additional 4 years until I aged out and had to move on with my life.

In 2012 I designed the logo for the Marine Corps Aviation Centennial and was there for the celebrations in DC. It was an amazing experience and I thought that would be the extent of my involvement with the USMC. I became a pilot in the civilian world and have been working in law enforcement. I kept an active interest in all things USMC and overheard over a year ago that the Marine Corps has raised its maximum commissioning age limit to 42. Long story longer, I found an amazing OSO that loved my story, got me an age waiver and fought for me every step of the way - I just commissioned a few weeks ago, at the grand ol' age of 40 🫡.

Becoming a Marine Officer has been a dream come true. It's hard to express in words how much it means to me, especially after all these years. I used to love hanging out at this board and figured I'd reach out and see what's been going on since I left! I'm a ground contract at TBS now and while its insanely doubtful I will be granted a NAMI age waiver for a competitive SNA contract, I will try as hard as I can until they tell me 'NO' and then try some more ;)

Any AirWarriors old timers, feel free to reach out and / or PM - and if you are in the Quantico / DC area, the drinks are on me! (Yut, yut, debil dawg.)

3.jpglogo.pngc.jpg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Congratulations @Cron! I always love to hear about people who keep reaching for a goal until all options are exhausted (and then trying some more). I knew quite a number of old dog JOs when I was in the Corps a billion years ago. Most were computer geeks, MPs, and one PAO, but they all served with capability and pride.