• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blankets....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bisouss69

I have seen some posts about using sleeping bags or blankets so you dont mess up your bed. So where do you store the extra blanket? Do you have a small part of the locker that the DI's dont inspect.. thats your that fits a blanket? Or if you guys/gals stored it in your car... and how were you able to bring it into the barracks? In bootcamp.. they checked everything you brought in or was mailed to you. So how did you all get around this.. share the info.. please. Thanks.

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
Get a sleeping bag after poopie week and keep it in your locker. You will have time before the inspections to get rid of it. Its only extra baggage if you bring it the first day.

NFOtoBE

VP-5 NFO
At some point you will have a chance to go to the Exchange, Buy one then. Keep it locked in your locker and like robv said you will have a chance to remove it before inspection. Every inch of your locker is inspected during the PI so no you cannot have it there during the inspection. You can also aquire another navy issue blanket while you are there if you dont want to spend the money...any case that is good advice about not bringing it with you but definitely having one!
Good luck at OCS :)

Dave Shutter

Yes, definitely do not show up lugging around a huge sleeping bag. The mini-NEX (stone throw from OCS) has a decent variety of bags and blankets. Wait till you get there and see what it's like that time of year. Trust me, summertime won't require something heavy but you'd be surprised at how chilly it gets in the winter, especially since half the beds are next to windows with no insulation whatsoever.

submariner8

Does anyone know if you get in trouble if the DI catches you using a sleeping bag? How likely is it that this will happen? What kind of punishment is handed out?

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
My OSO said he used the inner lining of his jacket and that was good enough for him. It would be easy to put away too.

tps_r3p0rt5

Hey don't worry about the blanket or sleeping bag thing, you won't get in trouble for having one, or atleast I have never heard of it, but do be careful of gouge you get from this website, ALL OF THE STAFF at OCS now knows about it and it is rumored (most likely true) that DI's are putting up bad gouge just to **** with the new people. But I am here right now so my gouge is good.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have got to be kidding me! I know OCS has changed, I have talked to the stash ensigns in my office. But I am coming to the conclusion that it has turned into some kind of country club! I know, just another old guy past his glory. Back in the day when AOCS was just about like Quantico and OCS was in Newport for the surface guys we had to sleep under the blankets for the first three weeks or so until we were "secured" (still call it that?). After that if you didn't want to mess up your rack you slept on the floor or on top of the made blankets without any covers. No corfram shoes for us. We polished two pairs of shoes and our flight boots for inspection. I can't believe you guys have computers in OCS! During study hours my entertainment consisted of listening to a verboten cassette tapes in the old slide/tape machines our lessons were on. Watch aeodynamic class slides and listen to the Cars and Supertramp. We weren't allowed watches, anodized brass, sleeping bags, computers, nothing. On the day you got your M1 rifle issued you ran with it at port arms for 5 miles, mostly on the beach. Do they even Hurricane the rooms any more? Is there "office entry night"? Gosh, I don't know why we have to worry about you guys DORing any more. Forgive the trip down memory lane guys. Consder it cheap entertainment. You can still be proud that Navy OCS is more challenging than USAF OTS.

bisouss69

Remeber this is the nicer freindlier Navy... these days. I have only been in for 4 years and I have seen a difference. Just more whiners... I havent been to OCS.. I am just trying to get some info from those who been. I think its funny when people post "Can I bring an electric tooth brush?" and stuff. I am not expecting it to be easy... I am just trying to base it off of bootcamp and what we did there. I am trying to get use to the idea that you will only have 4 people per room and not 80 girls sharing a coridore. When will you have time to go to your car or the exchange.. they dont search your bags when you come in the building for stuff you bought?

grouch

You can bring just about anything you can think of into OCS if you have the stones. Point of fact, I knew a dude that had a PS2 in his locker in GTX. For those of you who don't know, GTX is in regiment. That is where master guns hangs out, master chief and just about everyone else from time to time. I'm glad he did it, grand theft auto helped pass the time in the infernal hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.